Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way speaker configurations - Pro's & con's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:27am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Originally posted by knet94 knet94 wrote:

Yes it's very doable with the same reservation as Lucasdude about playing the Thams so high up. I would have thought that the HKs would be capable of playing down a lot lower than 500 to meet the Thams so also agree with 180 as a good cut off point between the Thams and the HKs.

Imo the added quality of going 3 way more than outweighs the very slight increase in complexity.

Why would a 3-way setup mean more quality? The HK's are perfectly capable playing down low enough to meet the RCF's. And I doubt that the Tham sounds good up that high.

It's my opinion and it's based on my experience of upgrading from 2 way to 3 way, then 4 way and then 5 way. At every stage my crew, my customers and I perceived a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I did in fact go 6 way but decided that was not worth the extra investment in  drive units and an additional amplifier.

However, bearing in mind APW's comment above, I would recommend that JOEDL1509 sell the Tham 12s and invest in some dedicated mid bass/kick bins that will comfortably cover from 80hz-180hz.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12