Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.5mm speaker cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.5mm speaker cable
    Posted: 24 February 2022 at 12:03pm
Watt's your pleasure? I've always used 2 core 2.5mm burial mains cable for the job, although it's a bit of a bitch to coil when wet. It is very rugged and has a much tougher outer than real speaker cable. I'm considering using an armoured multicore this time, but I'd appreciate any opinions.

Edited by Lucasdude - 24 February 2022 at 12:17pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 12:23pm
By armored are you referring to SY cable?

Either way dont do it. It’s heavy, the braiding does not offer any worthwhile physical protection and it generally gets nasty when cold, old or both!

I use 4x2.5mm Titanex H07 for NL4 and 19x2.5mm for speaker socapex by Lineax and wouldn’t touch anything else with a bargepole
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

By armored are you referring to SY cable?

Either way dont do it. It’s heavy, the braiding does not offer any worthwhile physical protection and it generally gets nasty when cold, old or both!

I use 4x2.5mm Titanex H07 for NL4 and 19x2.5mm for speaker socapex by Lineax and wouldn’t touch anything else with a bargepole

My horizontal bathtub brain was thinking more swa than sy, with a glanded ip box at either end and a bank of speakon sockets.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 12:34pm
I need 16 core to drive everything  the way I want, 2 for each sub and 4 to biamp each of the top boxes.
  The Titanex H07 looks a good option. 

Edited by Lucasdude - 24 February 2022 at 12:37pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:23pm
SWA for temporary use….you would probably end up regretting that…..
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

SWA for temporary use….you would probably end up regretting that…..

I'm sure you're right. I think I'll just go with 4 x 4 core 2.5mm.
 Post Reply Post Reply