Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HDTV Tuner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HDTV Tuner
    Posted: 16 March 2022 at 3:13pm
Yep, I know it's not speakers but...

A club, (well, an old farts club to be precise), that I frequent decided to but another telly. Unfortunately they went with what the salesman at Currys said (despite me saying buy the same make and model) and now have two TV's in the same area that have different electronics inside, and hence, there's a delay in one of the signals... both sound and vision. Which is bloody annoying.

So what I'm after is an HD DTV tuner that can output HDMI. In truth I'm after something that has one HDMI input (so I can switch from the HDMI input to the tuner) and two HDMI outputs (for the two tellies), along with the HD DTV tuner. I've already borrowed a one-to-two HDMI unit and checked the screens coming from a DVD, via HDMI, and they both are in sync.

And as normal for that club, the budget's about twenty quid and a reach around. So does anybody know anything that would fit the bill and that I can persuade them to raise the budget?
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2022 at 3:25pm
Im sure there are plenty around, but the last one I bought and have used successfully was the Manhatten T1. Small, cheap, HD and works from 12v.

To do the other part of what you want, I think the only solution is a simple HDMI matrix switch if you need 2 inputs and 2 outputs. The brands I have used for this are Wyrestorm and Kramer, but these units are quite expensive. It is much cheaper for a simple HDMI output splitter, Lindy is a good budget brand.
 I would point out that HDMI can be a tricky mistress. Some splitting products aren't happy with 2 different devices connected on the receiving end, and others  may struggle driving  long HDMI cables. Although you have tested a splitter using a DVD player, which probably outputs 576p over HDMI, the result may be different when you switch to 1080i or 720p HD.
  If your DVD player allows, try switching the HDMI output to either or both of the above resolutions so you can test the splitter and cable compatibility.

https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/matrix-switches-splitters-c166/2x2-hdmi-18g-matrix-p13250

https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/splitters-c159/2-port-hdmi-18g-splitter-compact-p13271

Edited by Lucasdude - 16 March 2022 at 3:56pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2022 at 10:25am
Thanks for the info. i did see those Manhattan units, but presumed they'd be cheap'n'nasty... but the reviews seem to prove otherwise.

I'd completely forgotten about Lindy, but had seen the Kramer units... and their prices.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply