Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portable Battery 2 way speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 6:32pm
Looking good! Can you swap out the battery easily? Maybe you could rig up some sort of charger using one of those small camping solar panels? I've heard good things about Anker ones, but charging 18v will be a challenge!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 6:46pm
Cheers man! Yeh swaps the same as if it was on a tool, its attached to 1 of these in photo.

Haha that would be pretty cool solar charging it. Way beyond my knowledge at the moment though.

One thing someone said on another forum was i should fit a 'low voltage cut off relay' so the battery cuts out at 15v minimum or it can damage them permanently and wont recharge. Or to just keep an eye on the voltage. So bought a little voltmeter the one in the photo. Id rather that as im interested in seeing how long it lasts, with different styles of music, so be good to actually see the voltage itself. Waiting for it to arrive to fit it next week. Its only small around 3cm.

That poweramp app is really good too! I like the parametric eq bit. Although im not 100% sure on what to change so have just been having a play around with it and seeing what sounds good. I think if i had a measurement microhphone it might be better so i can actually see what frequencies need changing. Although i havent done that before so would be a bit of playing around with that. As im not actually sure what i am aiming for with EQ'ing, is it that the freqeuency line should be as flat as possible?

Edited by Jack1991 - 29 April 2022 at 6:50pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 9:33pm
I've never found anywhere quiet enough to do any serious measurements outside. However, with 2 smart phones and a tone generator app on one, spl meter on t'other, I've managed to lose a few solitary hours!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 9:46pm
Thats not a bad idea. As im not super audiophile so im reluctant to fork out for a umik-1 mic to maybe not fully understand it to get the most out of it. But would like to be able to eq it nicely.

What spl meter app and tone generator app do you use please? Does it show a frequency response line too?

Edited by Jack1991 - 29 April 2022 at 9:52pm
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2022 at 12:34am
For Android, I have Frequency Sound Generator, and Sound Meter. Where Apple scores points over Android is their control of both hardware and software, but that's still no reason for me to use them. There are fairly large differences in the audio performance of Android phones, so I would suggest you use the best quality ones you can and also use the same brand. I've used Samsung Galaxy and A series for the last 10 years or so, and they test very well for line output.

Edited by Lucasdude - 30 April 2022 at 12:35am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:32pm
Cool thanks man i will try them out soon. Do you just do it outside 1m away and with the speaker and phone on the floor?

Also what is the main aim for a frequency response curve, i assume its just to get rid of peaks and dips and to get as flat a line as possible?

Edited by Jack1991 - 02 May 2022 at 4:51pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2022 at 6:40pm
Any reccomendations for the frequency sweeps? Ive been reading up to try and answer this myself but im still not 100% sure.

Im assuming Linear and Sine Wave. But not sure on sweep time?

Hoping to have a play this evening or 1 evening this week, once the other noises die down in my garden and neighbours.

Also i fitted a volt meter this weekend too. To keep an eye on the battery levels. Have been told 15v is the lowest you should let a 18v lithium Makita battery get to before it will ruin it. Weirdly a fully charged 18v makota battery is 20.4v

Edited by Jack1991 - 30 May 2022 at 7:37pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 7:36pm
Took it down the field on Friday just gone, with a few mates and we had it on about 1/2 volume for a couple hours, then about 3/4 volume for a further couple hours and it proper pumps! Im well happy with it. The voltage only dropped from 20.4 to 20.2 in that whole time aswell, so i rekon it would last ages on 1 battery. That was 1x brand new 18v makita li-on 5ah battery.

On the poweramp app i was fiddling around with it for ages, but find it just sounds nicest with the bass knob set to 60% and the treble to 25%.
However as i increase the volume to around 3/4, the bass then needs to be reduced to around 40% or it starts to distort, but doing so didnt make it less bassy just kept it from distorting, if that makes sense.

Now i have heard it 'empty' although im happy with the sound i like to experiment anyway so i will try adding in some sound deadening on the 5 panels like Lucasdude suggested. And i will add on top in the centre of 3 opposing panels a bit of dacron dampening. And see how it sound with that.

Edited by Jack1991 - 30 May 2022 at 7:39pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2023 at 9:14pm
*Update*

A couple months back i upgraded the amplifier, to this Sure Wondom 4x 100w @ 6Ω (highly doubt the wattage specs) also bridgable, with inbuilt dsp. Its really good and uses Sigma Studio software to set it all up. Took a while to get used to it but i got the hang of it now for my needs anyway.

Heres the new amplifier:

I have also been learning to use my umik 1 and rew to measure this speaker, now i can actually see what im hearing it really does make a big difference. I fully see what everyone was on about now on other threads in the past ive read, about getting a mic and measuring.

I got it e.q'd now sounding great, i tried lots of variations (not just the 7 unticked) and found this was the response what sounded best to my ears. Heres the response:

I do wonder though if there is anything else i should be looking at on rew as in on the other tabs, distortion, impulse, filtered ir etc etc,? As i only used the All SPL tab, because it seemed the only one applicable to what im doing, and also im unsure on the rest.

Interested in your opinions or advice 👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 31 January 2023 at 9:19pm
=C- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =C- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2023 at 2:54pm
Hi Jack

A friend's asked me to build a portable speaker for her outdoor fitness classes. She plays pretty bass-heavy music and her sessions tend to last no longer than an hour.
I want to make something for her that sounds decent and is quick and easy for her to deploy. Your design is the closest I've found to what I was thinking.

I'm OK with the electrical side of things, but not so good at the box design and driver selection.
Any chance you could share your box plans and links to the drivers you used?
Also how big an area would you say that this speaker covers with decent sound?

Cheers
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2023 at 6:28pm
Hi mate, im afraid I don't have any plans for it. It was all just wrote down on paper which once built I binned.

I can remember I used a 8" fane sovereign for bass/mids and then I used a p audio tweeter for the tops.

In hindsight 1x 4" faital pro driver would have been better than the tweeter as that tweeter was a bit too harsh sounding. It was pretty good and bassy for my first go but I was never fully satisfied with it really.  I'm no expert at all but if I was to build a small one again like that I'd use 1x 4" faital pro 4FE32 Neo and the Beyma 8BR40/N and I'd buy the sure DSP amplifier I posted above.

If you download winisd and put the TS parameters in for each driver you will know what size to make the box and the port for the Beyma. You can watch YouTube videos on how to learn winisd it's fairly straight forward. 

I have since made a "mk2" which has exceeded my expectations and I'm really happy with. I've made a build thread on here of it, but again I don't have plans for it, not exactly anyway, also it weighs 16.5kg so might be a bit too big and heavy to lug too far on your own. But that one I've been out with a crowd of maybe 20 people and it was perfect would do more too I'd say and is surprisingly bassy. The amplifier used massively help as has a DSP built in so can measure it and set it up how you want.

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 July 2023 at 6:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345