Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage converter for 144V EV battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage converter for 144V EV battery
    Posted: 20 March 2022 at 7:00am
I want to build a portable circular open air small party soundsystem of four or eight speakers for my converted EV with a 144V battery (nominal 120-166V).

Instead of doing 12V amplification (because 144V-12V converters are *pricy*), I want to look into using these DC amplifier modules (https://icepoweraudio.com/products/other/a-series/) and need a high-power voltage converter for them.

Two routes are possible here:

1) Use mixed ICEPOWER 1000A for bass and ICEPOWER 500A for mids/highs means they have an overlapping voltage input of 42–75V which is wider than the battery of 120-166V. So a buck converter with a fixed 2.5 ratio could be used here which would yield 48–66V.

2) I use only 
ICEPOWER 1000A modules for all speaker types and pay better attention to controlling the top speakers with the higher-powered amps. In this case the amp voltage would be as high as 120V, so a buck converter with a fixed 1.4 ratio could be used which would yield ca. 85–118V.

Here are the questions:

Which of the approaches sound better? Higher voltage for better amp efficiency? Obviously, in a battery powered system, efficiency is king.

The converters would need to be custom built, since nothing like this exists on the market. How difficult is it to build one for, say, 4kW? I don't have sufficient knowledge atm to make one. So I could either learn it or hire someone to make it. But who would accept such a job?

I understand that making such a converter isn't gonna be cheap, either. I'm exploring options.
Going all 12V poses no technical difficulties, but I want to explore what else is possible first.
yanone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 7:25am
Sorry, I made a mistake: ICEPOWER 1000A’s frequency response caps at 1kHz and is therefore not suited to power all speakers.

So either two voltage converters need to be built to power the two amp types, or only the ICEPOWER 500A is used for all speaker types, with electric requirements of 1) staying in place unchanged.
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 9:30am
If your battery installation permits, could you not tap in the centre of the pack and create a +/- 72V power supply for something like the hypex ncore series, which run on up to +/- 98V?
yanone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yanone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 10:48am
Very interesting idea.

Yes, I have access to the battery pack. But I lack a bit of understanding of what happens to the other battery modules. Do they simply all rebalance if I take energy out of a subset of them?

In this approach I have almost completely free choice of amp modules, as I can freely combine any of the 10 battery modules that connected in series make up my battery pack.
What's extremely elegant about this idea is that it saves me to have voltage converters altogether.

And does this also go for battery charging? I have much trouble finding a 144V solar charge controller. Anything between 12V and 96V is a lot easier to source.

carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2022 at 1:41pm
You won't be taking voltage out of a subset of the cells, just taking a different point in the string as zero volts. The load from driving speakers and amplifiers will be less than driving the vehicle motor so doubt it will have much impact on the pack balance. What is the spec of the battery?

Yes it is hard to find inverters and charge controllers for high DC voltage systems. SMA sell some kit designed to work with higehr voltages. Or various chinese options of uncertain quality!
 Post Reply Post Reply