Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Omnitop Throat Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola_handycam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omnitop Throat Mod
    Posted: 22 March 2022 at 1:28pm
Hi i'm building two omnitop12 from Bill Fitzmaurice, and i would like to build a throat horn extention to increase the horn lenght, for experimental purpouse and also for the look it would give them.

I know hornresp and a bit of horn theory, but i am no expert and i am not sure how to calculate the correct angle for the 4 pannels of the throat extension. I don't know how to revers engeneer BFM plans !

Could someone  help me on where to start ?
Thanks !

lola

Edited by lola_handycam - 22 March 2022 at 1:29pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 8:40pm
Technically, that's the mouth, not the throat (Throat is the bit right at the start of the horn that the driver fires into).

It'll be harder for anyone to help reverse engineer as AFAIK Bill F doesn't release plans for free so many of us will never have seen the inside of one.
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 8:55pm
I had omnitops for a bit. They were very convenient, light and looked pretty cool. I was disappointed with the sound, they were also much quieter than the proper horn tops I'd used before. For a wide bandwidth smallish tops reflex with efficient drivers is a better bet.

In terms of modding his designs I wouldn't waste my time. There's already negative expansion in an omnitop so it's very compromised from the off.

If you're desparate to build a horn top with wide bandwidth synergy or unity horns are a much better bet.
 Post Reply Post Reply