Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help/advice wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help/advice wanted
    Posted: 24 March 2022 at 5:09pm
Hello! 
In Norway we have a tradition at the end of 13 years of school to purchase vans/buses and meet up and party. We are a group of 8 with what we consider a very good sound system/rig. It has been used by quite a few groups in the previous years. We run it using a diesel aggregate that has a max effect of 7.5kw and 230v ( https://www.hagebutikken.no/el-verktoy-og-utstyr/aggregater/bensin/stromaggregat-sierra-7-kw-230v-1-fas-m-utstyrspakke - https://www.hagebutikken.no/el-verktoy-og-utstyr/aggregater/bensin/stromaggregat-sierra-7-kw-230v-1-fas-m-utstyrspakke) link here. 

And we run it all the speakers through a 

Crown Macro-Tech 12000i Amplifier and a crown macro 5000i. And we have a dbx driverrack pa. It should be able to handle the sound system and should b enough power etc. Yet we can only run it at about 50%+- before everything cuts off. Dont get me wrong, you can feel the bass in your chest- but if we could get even more sound we would be happy.

This is probably not enough info for anyone here to make an educated guess about whats wrong, so this is a shot in the dark. Does anyone know how we could pump up the sound without everything just cutting off? If so, where is the problem? 
My wording and question might be stupid, hence why I posted under newbie:) 

Kind regards

monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 5:26pm
Let us know what you mean by cut off. Does the generator stop running or does the circuit breaker trip? If it's the circuit breaker, how are you plugging it into the generator? just one plug or two? Are they 32 amp or 16 amp?
blah blah blah blah blah......
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 5:53pm
When using portable power you have to cover the peak electrical demand of all equipment connected not just the continuous average, so you will need about 15kw of generator to fully utilize both amplifiers.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 6:10pm
The link to the generator you provided is for a cheap, generic Chinese petrol generator. The specs claim 13hp and a 30a breaker, but I very much doubt it will be anywhere near that. I'll take a guess and say that your sound system is well proven, but the generator is a recent addition? As Conanski said, you will need a LOT more power to run those amps at a high level. My best suggestion is you hire a proper 15kva road-tow diesel unit, use it only for the sound system, and maybe just use that petrol one for any thing else you want to power. Don't be tempted to plug any heating elements (kettle, smoke machine, curling tongs etc) into the main genny if you want it to run uninterrupted. Congratulations  on your graduation, and I hope you have a great time!😀
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2022 at 7:39pm
Ah yes.. there were a load of russ bus threads years ago.

But yeah. Get proper genie.
CastanedaZarate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CastanedaZarate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Truls Truls wrote:

Hello! 
In Norway we have a tradition at the end of 13 years of school to purchase vans/buses and meet up and party. We are a group of 8 with what we consider a very good sound system/rig. It has been used by quite a few groups in the previous years. We run it using a diesel aggregate that has a max effect of 7.5kw and 230v ( https://www.hagebutikken.no/el-verktoy-og-utstyr/aggregater/bensin/stromaggregat-sierra-7-kw-230v-1-fas-m-utstyrspakke - https://www.hagebutikken.no/el-verktoy-og-utstyr/aggregater/bensin/stromaggregat-sierra-7-kw-230v-1-fas-m-utstyrspakke) link here. 

And we run it all the speakers through a 

Crown Macro-Tech 12000i Amplifier and a crown macro 5000i. And we have a dbx driverrack pa. It should be able to handle the sound system and should b enough power etc. Yet we can only run it at about 50%+- before everything cuts off. Dont get me wrong, you can feel the bass in your chest- but if we could get even more sound we would be happy.

This is probably not enough info for anyone here to make an educated guess about whats wrong, so this is a shot in the dark. Does anyone know how we could pump up the sound without everything just cutting off? If so, where is the problem? 
My wording and question might be stupid, hence why I posted under newbie:) 

Kind regards

I am not sure about everything, but a lot of it must be depicted in the detailed guidelines about it. Unfortunately, they are not too popular today, but people still are looking for the like guides to have maximum information at the same time. Hope to see here similar ones. Or may be write on my own?
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2022 at 3:49pm
AC Generator is too small.....I have done lots of Outside Shows with no problems.....Total Amp Watts x 2 = GENERATOR Size needed....If Your Generator races up under load, skips, RPMs drop, or breakers Pop Your Generator is To SMALL.....Pounding Bass puts more of a Strain on Generator than Light Bulbs....I like the Trailer mounted 50k units..Power to spare!!!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply