Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things I need for good sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irieflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things I need for good sound
    Posted: 03 April 2022 at 11:13pm
Hello dear people

To be honest I am very lost in all those information about sound. I want to build a soundsystem with a good friend who is a carpenter to spread good vibes over Freiburg, Stuttgart in Germany.

Till now I know (think I knowConfused)that I need:
Preamp
4xAmps
Speaker driver 

I tried to get more knowledge with other discussions but there are more questions now than answers :D

Maybe to save us all some time... I have around 7000 €. Wood for the construction I can get from my friend. Do you think this is enough for building something? 

Sorry for being not well informed. I hope you can show me some direction for making research. Or maybe you have some tips for the setup of the system and brands or names of good affordable products. 

Thank you for your time Clap

VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2022 at 11:19pm
Good Sound = Visa Gold Card
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2022 at 8:40am
If you plan and budget properly, you can make a small sound for that. Don't forget to allow for cables/connectors etc.  My first set up was 2 sub15 cabs with Emi 600w drivers, a double 12" mid box and a horn/tweeter box... did loads of small events, had loads of fun and learned a lot... 
You can get reasonable amps for small money from say thomann or blue aran. You could start with something like a 4 channel amp for mids and tops and a 2 channel amo for bass..
You don't need to start off with the biggest and the best!
Reverence Sound system

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2022 at 9:42am
The best thing is to do a lot of reading before anything else.

It is a bit of a PITA, but the forum does have a search feature.

Maybe start here:-

Smile

EDIT:- And oh yes - sometimes it's better to start with some decent 2nd hand gear. Save you a lot of time & unnecessary expense! 

Edited by Earplug - 04 April 2022 at 9:43am
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 10:40am
Good vibes come in many forms! so there is already a huge difference in spreading good vibes Dubwise of spreading them with minimal techno. 

What worked for me is reversing the question, during which gigs i felt really into the sound? what did they use and is it obtainable for me?
for around 4000 euro (other part of the money for the decks and such) you can get a really decent (albeit not really riderfriendly) secondhand system which will do around 200 people. But will you draw such a crowd or is it easier to start smaller? 

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2022 at 5:06pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 1:32am
you can definitely do something with $7,000

just do not over-estimate your level of knowledge - a common mistake

only do yourself what is really hard to mess up

if i were you i would use commercial powered tops ( JBL or RCF ) with built in DSP and build your own subwoofers but using a proven design and EQ / filter / limiter settings.

you can also make your own cables using bulk wire and neutrik connectors.

i been studying this stuff for over 20 years, have an electrical engineering degree and i still only understand maybe 20% of what companies like JBL understand ... but i have actually talked to some beginners who don't even know 5% of what i know and already think they can out-design JBL ... this is the great danger here - over-estimating how much you actually know.

try to leave as much as possible to professionals.  typically DIYers can have good results with subwoofers or when building proven designs.  not so much when they get creative with full-range speakers.

even when building subwoofers it's still possible to screw things up.  there is more to a subwoofer than just the sound, which with a program like WinISD you will be able to get right.  DIYers will forget things  like handles and grilles which seem superfluous at the time of the build but when you start to actually use it you realize these things are kind of important.

basically just don't get too creative.  latest designs from top companies like JBL are based on many decades of experience, measurements, computer models and just good old trial and error.  there is a place for DIY just don't get over-zealous or over-confident.

anybody can throw drivers in a box and some people can even get it to sound good but very few can produce an objectively better design than what is commercially available from companies like JBL and others.

the worst mistake you can make is screw up the vocal range.  any sort of crossovers in the vocal range should be left to people who know what they're doing.
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 6:23am
To be honest, for around 7000€ i would hit up Thomann  and get something like 2x RCF ART732 MK.4 and 4x RCF SUB905-AS II.
Compact and powerfull system where you get a 3" comp in the tops and DSP in the subs. All you need Smile
I am running this setup, and just love the portability and performance from such compact boxes. And from where i am located, easy to rent in some more. 

Or if you want the latest goodies in tops and 18" subs, get 2x RCF ART932 and 2x RCF SUB8004-AS or SUB8003-AS II.
A little bit more low-end grunt, but the subs do take up quite a bit more space. 

IMO you get much more value for the money this way.
Great performance and good re-sell value.

Edited by FOO - 16 April 2022 at 6:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply