Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beyma CP21F vs Aurum Cantus G3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beyma CP21F vs Aurum Cantus G3
    Posted: 08 April 2022 at 5:51am
this comparison is not as absurd as it seems ...

for supertweeter duty in a line array for home use above a 8" Radian Planar Mid-Tweeter crossed at 5-6 khz ...

16 X Beyma Cp21F or 10 X Aurum Cantus G3 ?

on paper Aurum Cantus is over 100 db efficient in that frequency range and handles 60 watts per ribbon which works out to serious SPL and it is known to sound really good ...

but it is also known to fail for apparently no reason ...

i actually heard Beyma bullets and they sound decent but at 25W AES on paper they aren't any louder than Aurum Cantus and aren't that much cheaper either - so why not just use Aurum Cantus that is known to sound amazing ?

well because the Beymas aren't known to fail left and right like Aurum Cantus ...

except MINE actually was dead and i had to replace the diaphragm ...

so you see it's actually a fairly apples to apples comparison here ... cost per array would be fairly close and output would be fairly close and sensitivity too ... reliability would favor Beyma but sound quality would favor Aurum Cantus ...

one benefit of Beyma is it could be actively run directly off the amp maybe with a capacitor ... but the Aurum Cantus would probably need at least a 2nd order passive protection circuit ... but that isn't really a significant enough downside to matter ... with a 5-6 khz crossover passive components aren't that expensive as the values are small ...

but really i can't tell which makes more sense ?

on one hand it makes sense to do a line array out of line sources like ribbons ...

on the other hand with ribbons you would need an active crossover, a passive protection circuit and then 10 transformers ( one per ribbon ) ... while with the Beyma CP21 bullets you would just need the active crossover ...

of course the transformers are included with the ribbons it's just annoying to think you're paying for 10 transformers just to run some supertweeters ...

what do you think ?

Edited by Line Array - 08 April 2022 at 5:56am
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2022 at 7:51am
Selenium ST322 is half the price of Beyma CP21 and some stores claim to have it in stock but i think they're full of sh1t - i think it is discontinued

also, do you think it is CP21 in the EAW DCT2 supertweeter array ?

i know JBL used Selenium ST400 in their Marquis Series which gives that supertweeter a lot of credibility but i want a Slot and the ST322 ( as well as ST300 and ST324 ) seem to be discontinued ...

but i can't tell for sure since i can't even find Selenium website ! ! !

the JBL / Selenium site has ST400 but not any of the slots, however that may be just for US market ...

CP21 is everywhere though and i can get Aurum Cantus G3 from PartsExpress ...

Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 8:36am
actually i can get much closer center to center spacing with these:

so 24 of these PRV or 10 Aurum Cantus G3 in a line array ?

i can have the PRVs in groups of 4 at various horizontal angles to get wide horizontal coverage 

so basically -30 degrees, -10 degrees, 10 degrees, 30 degrees, repeat ...

2.5" center to center spacing means the pattern repeats every 10 inches ... six times 

it would actually be 10 deg, - 30 deg, -10 deg, 30 deg, repeat ... so the two most close to center would come in every 5 inches ...

24 of PRV would be significantly cheaper than 10 of Aurum Cantus but not cheap by any stretch of imagination ...

and sound quality would not come close ...

Aurum Cantus should have enough SPL ... but be overall more fragile

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 3:56pm
Hi-Fi Tweeters tend to be relatively flat from 10 kHz - 20 kHz with a roll-off around 30 kHz - 40 kHz

Tweeters aimed for the Pro Audio market struggle to make it pass 16 kHz with a good amount of dB loss once you reach 20 kHz.

You should also explore dispersion amongst the two. Dispersion plays a huge factor once you are moving above the 10 kHz range.

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply