Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PD.158 suited for reflex? (BBC BR215)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wt-club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PD.158 suited for reflex? (BBC BR215)
    Posted: 08 April 2022 at 10:19pm
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question regarding the BBC BR215 reflex design.

I was wondering if the PD.158 or possibly another (PD) driver would be suited for this design.
I can get a hold of 2 PD.158 speakers for 'cheap'. So I was wondering of they would work well in a reflex design.

As for other speaker recommendations, I can get all Beyma speakers they currently sell for pretty cheap so a Beyma driver would also be nice cheap option for me.

I would love to hear your experience with this reflex design and possible drivers in them!

(For those wondering they would go above 2x 15" scoops loaded with PD.1550, but I don't want to go cheap for the kick section as I might upgrade to 18" scoops in the future.)
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2022 at 11:13pm
It's much more suited to horns than reflex, with Qts as low as it is (0.24).
If put in a vented box it will start rolling off quite high, probably at least up around a couple of hundred Hz and be somewhere between 3 & 6 dB down by the time it's below 100Hz (at a rough guess, I'm on my phone now without easy access to proper modelling software). 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2022 at 11:17am
Here's the PD158 simulated in the BBC215 compared to a few of the better suited Beyma drivers:
All are driven to Xmax, defined as ((Hc-Hg)/2)+(Hc/4) for consistency between the manufacturers.

wt-club View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wt-club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2022 at 12:43pm
Thanks for your reply DMorison!

I can see that that the PD.158 is not optimal for a reflex enclosure. With this in mind I will probably fit my Beyma 15MC500 in them as is had an EBP of around 100, so seems more suited for this type of enclosure.

Thanks again for taking the time to plot these different drivers!
Vaso_Bobinata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaso_Bobinata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2022 at 5:31pm
Hello DMorison, i am searching for encloasure design for 2 way mid TOP based on  
One PD.158 and Faital HF14AT. Its not intended for full range aplications it will work with X1 sub design loaded with PD1850/1.  I will be using active crossover so the TOP wont have passive crossover.

I have both drivers already

Kind Regards,
V
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 4:33pm
I don't know of any suitable plans for that, sorry.

The thing is, in addition to the low-mids rolling off as mentioned above, in a mid top that's presumably going to be mounted on a stand or pole above the bass bin, the whole cab is effectively in full space rather than the half space that applies to a bass bin on the ground. That means you lose another 3-6db of lows again, depending on just how big the baffle is. So, you would end up having to apply probably 6-9dB of boost to the low mids to keep it flat down to the crossover point into your subs.

I'd be more inclined to sell the 158's and buy something more suitable, not to mention lighter.
 Post Reply Post Reply