Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LDS800

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LDS800
    Posted: 12 April 2022 at 9:34pm

Just found 10 of  these LDS800's lurking up the back of the shed 

Seriously solid build with Quality components 

Has anyone come across them out in the wild.. 

Design principle homogenous linesource.. 

Have not run them up yet but the sense of anticipation is building.. 

Used as a 17m column at the London Coliseum 

Edited by 4D - 12 April 2022 at 9:44pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2022 at 8:00pm
I haven't seen this system out in the wild, but I have looked though the LDS L-800 specifications several times and it seems like a very interesting product to me. Especially with the ribbon tweeters and must have cost a lot of money when it was new.

So I thought about what sort of alternative practical application it could be used for, after it's original use of being flown in a long column in multiples in a huge opera house.

Maybe have one box per side used with some subs for an open-air jazz or orchestral gig, for a few hundred people?

The quoted sensitivity of 102db/1w/1m for both the mids and the tops seems decent, giving reasonable max spl. The horizontal beamwidth of 120 degrees would be useful.

Though in the spec sheet the vertical beamwidth is "defined by configuration". I wonder what that means? Would be nice to have some numbers.

As the box is 1.7m high and of slim profile it clearly could not be just ground stacked. But perhaps one box per side could be flown with some sort of arrangement using the subs as ballast. Or off a flying point on the side of the stage if it's available.

These are just some thoughts of mine, but I can see why the sense of anticipation is building!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 9:02am
Yup, looks like an interesting box. Ribbon tweeters can sound good.

But specs say 72kg - so not really a 1-man lift! I hope that you have help for stacking them!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2022 at 2:26pm
I once had a few par36's lurking at the back of the shed... How big is your shed if you stumble across these... 

Looks like an Alcons QR36 avant la lettre. never heard either of them in the wild but on paper are gorgeous.
 Post Reply Post Reply