Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need some help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moetzmoet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need some help
    Posted: 02 June 2022 at 2:07pm
i am new to building ,but i want to try to build a set of pizo tweeter boxes. i have accese to all the tool i may need. I would like to build two pizo boxes that will have (10) reg or standard size pizo tweeters in them each. i don't have any physical plans to use as a guide so if someone out there has some plans to share please fell free to link me with a pm .

thank you in advanced.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2022 at 2:28am
What does the rest of the system consist of?

Piezos are super tweeters so really only good from about 8khz up unless you don't need them to get very loud, but considering where you posted I'm going to assume that isn't the case. 

Don't listen to the internet wisdom that these don't require a crossover, they can be used without one(in very low power situations) but for anything PA/sound system related they really should have one.  

The box can be any shape you want but I like the curved array with each driver pointing a slightly different direction. The box can be open back or sealed.. doesn't matter.

Edited by Conanski - 03 June 2022 at 2:34am
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 5:21am
piezo drivers are used in cabinets for people who don't know any better.

i understand the temptation to use them for a beginner - they are cheap and they are hard to damage.

but seriously ... reputable speakers don't use piezo tweeters.

piezo transducers are really meant to make beeping sounds in microwave ovens to let you know your food is ready - that's about the only application they're suitable for.

or maybe in ultrasonic parking sensors integrated into car bumpers.

NOT for music.

i honestly do not know enough about piezo drivers to list all the things that are wrong with them but i suspect that nobody does.  that's because people who know how to build speakers do not waste their time on piezo drivers.

if i was going to GUESS what is wrong with piezos i would say EVERYTHING.

the ONLY thing they have going for them is they are cheap and easy to use.

Edited by Line Array - 29 June 2022 at 5:28am
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 6:20am
They were good enough for Meyer sound.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

They were good enough for Meyer sound.

link ?

fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 8:48am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 8:55am
Meyer MSL-3 Motorola Piezo Tweeters

Edited by APW - 29 June 2022 at 9:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Meyer MSL3:

haha ! 

that document literally explains how they improved the speaker by removing those piezo drivers and then details how the end user can disconnect those piezo tweeters themselves ...

i suppose Piezo tweeters once served a purpose i simply missed that era.  

it appears Meyer was using them as supertweeters with an older compression driver but when better compression drivers became available they removed the piezos because they were actually making things WORSE.

thanks for the link it was quite interesting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Meyer MSL-3 Motorola Piezo Tweeters

i guess their ( piezo ) time has passed.

JBL also discontinued their aluminum diaphragm annular supertweeter line as well ... though Beyma still makes clones.

it seems the whole concept of supertweeters have fallen out of favor, not just the piezos.

i suppose with DSP combined with finite element analysis used to design compression drivers we can now squeeze that last octave out of the compression driver without the need for a supertweeter.

Celestion Axiperiodic goes to 20 khz with a 7" diaphragm and 5" voice coil ... not saying it's a practical driver but it's good for illustration purposes to explain why supertweeters are on the way out ... 

Edited by Line Array - 29 June 2022 at 9:15pm

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i suppose Piezo tweeters once served a purpose i simply missed that era. 
I was there, I had some of the original Motorola piezos around 1980 and got to explore what they can and cannot do. They were an upgrade from the paper cone "tweeters" used in home audio speakers up to late '70's, but they had no business in anything Pro audio related. Everybody tried of course but any decent conventional compression supertweeter outperforms a piezo in every way.. except cost. All the piezos I had are gone now.. they died a tortured frying bacon death, but I still have and use the conventional bullets that replaced them. 

Post Reply Post Reply