Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin w3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin w3
    Posted: 23 June 2022 at 10:42am
Well someone apparently thought putting a martin w3 on a 15" sub rather than using the distance pole would be more stable... they were wrong..

And the 15" driver seems to have had the magnet shifted too. Coil reads fine with a meter but doesn't move, and the magnet has visibly moved.

I'm honestly quite impressed. Can't believe one fall has broken the 15, the 6.5, the back bowl, and the horn. Haven't tested the 1 yet.

So eh.. has anyone a single w3 for sale? Otherwise I might soon.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 10:48am
whoops-a-daisy
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 4:16pm
Horn flare break looks clean,so would repair with some 2-pack epoxy cement, Alrdite etc.

Horn bowl 'could' be usable with some bigger washers i reckon.

1" CD may be fine, they are quite robust.

But yes, the 6.5 and 15 fooked. 
Be seeing you.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 9:04pm
Unfortunately PHL drivers are particularly susceptible to shifted magnets...

A W3 is quite heavy to put up on a pole.  I had a stack of WS2 and W3 fall over once.  Luckily it was only the 15" that died on that occaison.

Nice sounding cabs, particularly good for live usage.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 9:55pm
They've done me well for a long time. I'm comfortable lifting them onto stands at about shoulder height.. they always go out with subs and distance poles. But for some reason the person who set them up thought they might be safer just sat on the (single 15") subs. Will consider gluing the horn back when I've costed the 6.5 and seen if there's any hope of finding a 15.

It's a bummer though. I like these speakers. But sure it happens.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 10:51pm
No way that just vibrated and fell off a sub ~20" to the ground.. it took a dive from a considerable height. Any external damage on the cab?

I had a drunk wedding guest tip over a speaker 7ft up on a tripod stand sending it down hard on a concrete floor and the speaker didn't suffer that kind of damage. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 11:02pm
It was a teenage disco thing I think. They guy said it was kn the ground and the grill had come off so yeah it must have got some whack for that to happen.

Kinda doesn't matter. Can only go forwards from here. I didn't learn anything except what I already knew about dry hires.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2022 at 11:09pm
As Chris says above, the W3 is a heavy box to get up on a distance pole---You may find that the customer has struggled getting it up there and has actually dropped the box from a decent height.
I bet that most of us on here have built up the knowledge and the knack of lifting and shifting heavy stuff over the years but if someone is trying to do it without this experience then very often accidents do happen.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 11:00am
thanks all for input.

ok.. let's try to glue it back. i don't know enough about the types of foam to know what glue i should use.. the foam seems to be made of loads of small balls compressed together. don't want to melt it or anything using wrong adhesive. it doesn't seem to mate back together entirely cleanly either, if i clamp it fairly heavily it'll do it though i think. and i might need a small bit of filler to smooth off some bits around the throat.

any tips on glue? thanks.

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 11:39am
Any decent two pack epoxy resin will do the job--like what you can buy in B+Q etc but you will need a couple of decent sized tubes of it to do that job---make sure it is well clamped together as this should seal all of the joints very well.
Would advise leaving it to set very well for a couple of days before un-clamping.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2022 at 12:50pm
It's expanded polystyrene (a denser version of the white stuff you get in packaging).  Heat or solvents will destroy it.  Some sites seem to suggest that ordinary PVA woodglue is actually quite effective.  Polyurethane might also work well.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2022 at 4:30pm
As i said above, 2-pack epoxy cement would work (Alrdite), or even, as Chris says a PVA glue, or maybe No-nail (which is PVA based i think).

Yup, you cant use any solvent based cement on that (Evostik etc) as it will simply dissolve the foam. 
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply