Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New RCF 3-way powered PA box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RCF 3-way powered PA box
    Posted: 27 June 2022 at 9:53pm
i been watching this space ( 3-way PA boxes ) for decades ... 

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net/t/new-speaker-alert-rcf-nx-985-a/255

frankly i question why they exist at all ... they are too bulky for what they are intended for - namely mobile DJs, weddings, proms etc ...

but as home speakers with some extra SPL for house parties i think they ( 3-ways ) are a unique proposition ... slightly more "hi-fi" than your typical PA box and the penalty of size / weight doesn't sting at home ...

i realize that with a good compression driver crossed low the midrange is not needed ... but good compression drivers cost money ... a 3-way can use a smaller compression driver which admittedly will blow faster in a PA scenario - but again, will be more than adequate for home use including drunken parties.

as i said i been thinking about picking up a 3-way like this for home for decades and this RCF is the latest one to hit the market in this space ...
best place on the internet >>>

https://dissidentsound.discoursehosting.net
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 8:12am
RCF art N and NX series look nice, also nice price point on the n series 910 and 912 Big smile

Full FIR processing. Tongue Bass motion  control sounds like a nice feature to wring out every last bit of bass Clap

The directivity plots in the datasheets are interesting too! 

I was comparing the 910, 912, and NX 985. It seems that the RCF engineers have prioritized optimization of the horizontal off axis response, after that vertical above the box, and tried to keep all the ugliness in the vertical off axis below the box, where it gets absorbed by the crowd anyway. 

The 985  is very different from the smaller models.....

The horizontal response of the 985 is a bit weird with its off axis trough between 1 and 2  kHz. In the vertical planes there is also a smaller trough around 300-400 Hz. The latter is imho a nice feature to keep down overall  "muddiness" in the voicing of the speaker. The hornloaded 8" provides improved directivity control down to the 300 Hz crossover to the woofer. 

Both dips coincide with the crossover frequencies, 320 Hz between woofer and horn, and 1200 Hz between mid and hf horns. The 300 Hz dip shows only in the vertical off axis response due to the devices being vertically arraged. The  upwards off axis repose exhibits very strong attenuation between 1 and 2 kHz, which is good, especially if the ceiling is very reflective!

The off-axis 1,5 kHz dip seems to have been the main design compromise of the 985. The transition from 8" to hf happens here. Maybe the hf horn is at the verge of its comfort zone at 1,2 kHz, compared to the 10" and 12" two way boxes which have a 1,8 kHz xover and much more smooth reponse. The 8" horn dispersion also seems to be narrowing towards xover. 

Would be super interesting to listen to these boxes. 

Depending on application, I think the 985 can be a wortwhile compromise. A little bit less than twice the weight of the nx915 , it delivers 7 dB more peak spl. It is sufficiently fullrange, does a solid 50 Hz and respectable 40 Hz. Can be stacked on stage edges as is. Stacked on tall subs it doesnt need stands either. 

But yes, if portability is eminently important, 985 would not be at the top of the list. Ouch
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 5:10pm
called RCF USA ( which is actually less than an hour drive from where i am ) and asked if / when NX 985 is coming to US ...

the woman said she doesn't have an official date but guesstimated that it's coming to US probably in October or so ...

da suspens is killing me !  LOL

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2022 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

i been watching this space ( 3-way PA boxes ) for decades ... 
frankly i question why they exist at all ... they are too bulky for what they are intended for - namely mobile DJs, weddings, proms etc ...
It's all relative, on their own they're only slightly better than a 15+1 box but over a pair of 18's they come into thier own. Same applies to double 15 boxes, they really aren't that good with modern music all on thier own, but on top of a double 18 you have a potent stack that doesn't need a pole to get the mid/highs overhead. 

Originally posted by Line Array Line Array wrote:

as i said i been thinking about picking up a 3-way like this for home for decades and this RCF is the latest one to hit the market in this space ...
My first home audio speakers back in the late 70's were 3-way 15" boxes, I loved the sound of those things so much my first DIY pa boxes were also 3-way.. 15+8+1 . 

Edited by Conanski - 01 July 2022 at 6:02pm
Line Array View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Line Array Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2022 at 2:05am
what would you say is the difference in sound of a ~ $1,700 15" 3-way versus a 15" 2-way of similar caliber ?

larger box of course will go a little lower, say 10 hz lower ... but if using subs and HPF that shouldn't make any difference.

if using a cheap passive crossover and a small cheap HF driver getting it to mate to a 15" woofer in a 2-way might be very difficult ... but with a large, powerful HF driver and brick wall FIR crossover as well as properly sized horn it should be possible to get the HF to mate to the 15" woofer directly without a midrange ...

so what do we actually gain from having a midrange ?

i estimate this RCF NX 985 will be priced similar to RCF ART 945 which is a 15" plastic 2-way box but with the twist that it uses a 4" HF driver instead of 1.75" ...

it seems that the pricing strategy for these types of speakers is you mainly pay for the size of the HF driver, followed by the woofer VC diameter ... the premium for both wood cabinet, 3-way design and even built in amplification seems rather modest by comparison ...

Edited by Line Array - 02 July 2022 at 2:16am

Post Reply Post Reply