Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decent portable subs (battery powered?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mysterysteppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent portable subs (battery powered?)
    Posted: 10 July 2022 at 11:11am
Does anyone know of any good battery powered, active, portable subs?!
I recently bought a JBL Eon Compact speaker. It's a small, battery powered, active, full range speaker loaded with a 10" driver and a tweeter. 
I'm looking for a sub to complement it and am struggling to find anything. 
Most ones that describe themselves as "portable" actually require mains power.
I know minirig do one, but I'm after something a bit more substantial. However needs to still be small/light enough that it could be carried across awkward terrain for remote little parties...
Not really looking to spend more than £500.
Any suggestions?
I'm not really looking to build something. I've already got a DIY 12v soundsystem that's already stretching my tech skills, needs a lot of TLC and is generally the bane of my existence! Just want something off the shelf really. Would consider buying second hand.

al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2022 at 5:47pm
There are quite a few large Bluetooth portable speakers now but not really any subs to accompany them. 
This may only be useful if you’re across the pond 

If you are willing to spend around £500 then it’s definitely worth just building a basic 10” reflex enclosure with a car amp and battery.

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2022 at 6:43pm
The power consumption for a sub and subsequent drain on any batteries may be a problem. Have you thought about investing in a small generator? One guy I know uses a small (800VA) unit for small parties out in the sticks. Fine to power a small amp and a couple of cabs.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Mysterysteppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mysterysteppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2022 at 11:26pm
Thanks for that. Yeah, seems to be no one targeting the UK market for this. None of these companies ship to the UK (except obviously Minirig, which seems to be the smallest/quietest out of all the options.)
I've pinged off a couple of messages to see if anyone would ship to the UK, but no one seems to advertise that they do. 
@Earplug, I don't really want to get a generator. I own a more substantial soundsystem, but my single 18" subs are (relative to what I'm after here) pretty big and heavy. Combined with the added weight of a small generator (on top of my JBL Eon compact and Pioneer RX2 controller,) it makes for a big, heavy setup. 
I just want a small, lightweight setup (but with a bit of bass weight to it) that I can move about easily to put on little parties for a a small crew of mates in awkward-to-get-to (but beautiful) locations. Mostly little beach parties.
Easily accessible beaches attract crowds of tourists... Ones with nightmare access don't!
The JBL Eon compact would almost do it on its own, but I can't quite bring myself to put on a party without at least 1 dedicated subwoofer! 
Really, I need a boat, but I can't afford one and have nowhere to keep it. Plus my wife would kill me!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2022 at 1:26pm
Ok, understood, but what I meant was that a small genny will weigh about 10kg-15kg, the same as any (decent) battery powered sub. You then just need a small, light sub with an 8" or 10" driver. One with a neodymium magnet will weigh nothing. So maybe 4kg/5kg for that.

You can then either use the Eon - or find something lighter for the mid top. Then a small amp to drive it all and you're away.  Smile

I'd say overall, a lighter - and more versatile system than using battery powered stuff. A genny may come in usefull for other stuff as well.

Or just make friends with this guy:-

LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Mysterysteppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mysterysteppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2022 at 7:17pm
There's a neatness and user friendliness to anything that's both active and battery powered, that I'm unlikely to achieve with anything I assemble along those lines. 
If I've got something that I can also easily dry hire for weddings (for outdoor ceremonies etc,) it makes it easier for me to justify shelling out for it. 
I might end up going down the route you suggest though. I'm not having a lot of joy finding a battery powered sub. I think it's only a matter of time before JBL, Mackie, Bose and everyone else who are selling these little battery powered full range speakers start to release a portable sub to go with their offerings. Not sure I have the patience to wait though!  
Any recommendations of good gennies of that kind of size? My experience of gennies is that they're normally unreliable beasts. 

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2022 at 7:09am
"Any recommendations of good gennies of that kind of size? My experience of gennies is that they're normally unreliable beasts."

Yes - I've also had my problems with hired in units - mainly because they've been trashed on building sites added to poor maintenance! The general rule is to always hire in 2 gennies just in case!

Regarding a small unit, I guess that you can't go wrong with something reputable, like a Honda. Best to take a look around at the builders merchants, etc. around where you live and chat to anyone you know that uses them regularly.

Regarding size, like I said, around 800VA is fine to power a small system. The weight would be the limiting factor. Depends what you are happy lugging around! You could also always build a wheelie board for the thing.   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply