Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Campervan sound system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Campervan sound system
    Posted: 27 July 2022 at 11:58am
Hi folks, 
I have recently completed a camper conversion and now am trying to figure out what would be the best solution for a van sound system. 
I dont really want to run the audio system from the leisure battery so ideally will have its own battery or may go for a boominator/lipo style setup.

What would folks suggest for amplification? Chinese class D or off the shelf car audio stuff? Ideally would some form of integrated dsp so dont have to install additional unit.

cheers
purple monkey dishwasher
charlynch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlynch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2022 at 7:22pm
Hi,
I'm using a Pioneer GM-D9701  for bass, class d & reasonably priced. 
Head unit powers 4x 4fe32 and is wired to the leisure via the solar controller power take off to take care of low voltage cut off & the bass amp on its own heavy duty low voltage cut off.
It's efficient enough to play for days at 'inside' levels, if getting no charge or 8 hours flat out in party mode Smile
I did consider having 2 separate battery systems but it made more sense to size the battery bank & charging system to be capable enough. 
A friend has just brought a Minirig 2.1 set up for the van he is building for the flexibility of using it inside outside or to take to the beach. 
Someone else I know is using the little Thomann Dsp, Bluetooth dongle & Chinese chip amps again all through the solar controller.
Both of their power draws are miniscule. 
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 2:38pm
I'd suggest a second (or third?) 12v battery for audio - preferably LiFePO4 if you can - keep compatibility with charging systems
For amps, Pioneer GM-D 4 channel is my pick too...

I'm in the middle of working out future rigs and cheapo amp boards with their own power requirements aren't as appealing once you factor in the entire system (battery, charging and compatibility)
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2022 at 3:19pm
Ill probably get LiFePO4 just for audio stuff and go with the Pioneer GM-D series Thumbs Up

With respect to drivers would it be better to go with the likes of the Faitals mentioned above/similar or some car audio component speakers? Have some of the old scanspeak/alpine sets I used in an old motor was thinking of using
purple monkey dishwasher
 Post Reply Post Reply