Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First soundsystem build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First soundsystem build
    Posted: 10 August 2022 at 2:20pm
Hey all!
Ive been doing some research about building a soundsystem and ive got a bit of an idea, but i need some help getting it all together. Its my first build so a 3 way system should be good for now. I can always change to 4 in he future. That said, i was thinking about:

18" superscoop with an eminence omega pro 18" or Fane colossus 18B

MT102 with 2x10" eminence kappa pro lf, Beyma CP800/Ti compression driver and Beyma TD460/N horn.

Would a setup of 2 times the superscoop and 1 mt102 be enough to start out or should i got for 4 superscoops and 2 mt102s?
If im not mistaken, this setup doesnt have any kickbins. Whats a good plan for a kickbin to add and how many would i need in the setup?
I also really liked the look of the G Sub. But my understanding is that i dont need it since the superscoop is a sub as well.
I would love to hear your ideas and tips!
Thanks in advance!

- SjengKedeng 

1ManSoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManSoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 7:06pm
watt gehtn

i built my SS as well on my own. whats best for you, who knows.
i did some research for about a year, until i made my final plan, on what cabs i will build.
i chose 4 hog scooper and 8 hd15 bcuz here in berlin, at that time i was at an event at kili-club, where this combo (4 hogs/8 hd15) were present and playing.
it was an unbelievable sound, a divine experience. the bass was so intense, it choked my neck, i couldnt breathe or swallow my beer, the SELECTAW operated a manhigh tower with amps mixers and crossovers, and sometimes, the bassline was just crazy brutal. it was an insane pressure. i was so blown away, that i decided to build these on my own. furthermore i got the mt122 with the mentioned cp800ti compression drivers from beyma.

i played around with some piezos years ago, with some compression drivers later. this one from beyma is something different. its hard to describe with words how brutal this thing goes, who needs that Oo ? even with hearing protection, it plays insanely loud, carefull with hooking up signal cables while these are powered and live. the crack is windowshattering, it really fuccs up your ears. one weighs about 8 or 9kg. they need inner support bcuz u dont want to hang these freely on a gfk-horn.

these are just some thoughts from me. better take more time for research, than regret building the wrong cabinets. i like the dimensions of the superscooper more, bcuz its easier to transport and to store, but the hogs are more versatile, dark techno, metal, psytrance, all goes well with them. they are not to hard to build. hd15 is harder an mt122 is much much harder!!

also a ss doesnt consist of speakers and amps only. u need cables, plugs, tools (router, saw, bandsander, excentersander, color, brushes/roller), handles, feet, grill, glue, etc etc. these small costs add up to a significantly amount.

dont forget to posts pics from construction Thumbs Up

luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2022 at 7:54pm
If you build the super scoop leave the triangle piece out from the chamber. Personally wouldnt use a large g sub as upper bass unless you are crossing it very low and over lapping the scoops and time aligning via lms. Otherwise its a wasted cab imo. A more compact 18 or 15 cab tuned for better performance on the higher end whilst sacrificing some low extension as its only going to be on upper bass anyway. I used to use large double 18 reflex (xb loaded) on upper bass 90hz - 180hz and it was terrible. Take the same abs to a gig 35hz - 90hz and was great. Wasted on upper bass alone though
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
SjengKedeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2022 at 4:27pm
This is already loads of great information! Thank you both for your input! I was thinking id need 15" for the kickbins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2022 at 4:28pm
Okay, so i've done more research into the frequencies the speakers allow. And i have a plan for the start of my soundsystem. I'll be making 2 18" superscoops loaded with eminence omega pro's. These will be cutoff from 35-90/100. On top of those i'll add 2 HD15s as kickbins. Probably loaded with eminence kappa 15" and cutoff from 90/100-180. On top of that will be a single MT102 loaded with 2 eminence kappa pro 10" and preferably a beyma CP800/TI. This one will take care of the 180-20k range.
Thats just the speakers and cabs tho. As mentioned i still need tools, glue and other parts to make these cabs. Amps need to be added as well. So this will be a long running project.

I've started putting all the parts from the superscoop in sketchup to get an idea of how much wood i would need. Im planning on getting 13-layer birch ply at 18mm thick. When i buy the wood i will ask if they can cut my wood to size.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2022 at 10:17am
Why build big and expensive scoops, and load them with a weak, mediocre driver? 4,8mm xmax for sub bass LOL

For the price of Omega 18 pro on partsexpress, you can get proper beyma, b&c etc....... actually you can get better drivers cheaper. Ouch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 2:47pm
I chose the omega pros since i found a deal on them, new in box 150€ a piece. Which driver would you suggest?
Looking at the site you sent me there's no beyma's for the same price. The B&C 18PS100 looks pretty nice. I saw the Eminence go down to 40hz while the B&C are able to go to 30hz.
Can you give me some more information as to why the Eminence won't be any good? Do they not produce enough sub, or are they not putting out enough volume. It would be nice having some feedback to understand why the other speakers are better.
As for price, i think this is a great option to start my first build. After i have built this and played around with it i can always swap the driver in the cab for another one and repurpose or sell the Eminence speakers.
vibes92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 3:57pm
pd1850 mk 2s  for bass 
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 5:12pm
What is your budget for the setup? As said many times on this forum: buy cheap, buy twice..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2022 at 1:55pm
I havent set a budget. I will check what i can get for decent prices. I can use some tools from a friend so ive got that covered! I'm not aiming for a professional build since im not a professional. I do want to make it tidy tho. Its more of a personal project for fun and to learn about woodworking and audio.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2022 at 11:35am
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Why build big and expensive scoops, and load them with a weak, mediocre driver? 4,8mm xmax for sub bassLOL

Modern high grade drivers have 2-3 times more xmax = maximum linear excursion. More is more = better

Other basic parameters:
BL (motor strength): as high as possible. For a 18" sub, and especially for scoops it shouldnt be less than 20. Top tier drivers have anywhere between 25 - 36
Qts: below 0,3, ideally closer to 0,2 for horn loading

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SjengKedeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2023 at 10:50pm
Thanks for making this clear! I've read up about the parameters and with your explanation it has become more clear! I already got the omegas for cheap, so i will start with those. Later down the line i will check for a better suiting driver.
I'm learning more bit by bit and am doing more proper research about the different kinds of cabs and drivers.
 Post Reply Post Reply