Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chauvet Abyss LED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chauvet Abyss LED
    Posted: 07 October 2022 at 10:28am
Mornin all ....

Never posted in this section - and I know hardly anything about lighting for events etc.

Well - my mate over the road has been given (I think) one of the above in non-working order .... its the main LED "bulb" missing. So - just hoping someone might know something about these - like where to get a replacement LED assy. for this model. Chauvet website has no mention of this unit - just mentions the same thing, but only versions 2 and 3 - absolutely nothing about the original "version 1".

So firstly - is this Chauvet thing of a quality worth messing with ? It looks a bit better made than a Maplins cheapie one I once saw in bits.
Also - I'm assuming these things would be using a cluster of LEDs of some sort. We put a meter across the LED terminals when the unit is powered up ..... about 12V ISTR. So would it feasible to DIY up a 3S (or 4s ?) cluster - and make it approximate as much as possible to a point-source ?

TIA ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 2:31pm
are you sure this is the led version? the abyss ripple effect is around since mid 90's from different brands and names. these are recognisable by a airduct on the front and the lense being not in the middle of the front, runs mostly 12/24v 250 halogen bulbs. 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2022 at 6:37pm
Very definitely a LED thing. Printed on the outside of its chassis is "Chauvet Abyss LED".
There's mention of v2.0 and v3.0 of the same thing in plenty of places, but I can't find a damn thing about "v1.0" :-(

Inside there's a fairly chunky heat-sink/mount for the LED module (which obviously bolts on to the heatsink). Yeah I know - I should post some pics .... I'll get around to that soon ...

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2022 at 5:45pm
Well here's a coupla pics ...

Edited by slaz - 10 October 2022 at 5:53pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2022 at 11:14pm
A chauvet Abyss 2 sold on ebay for £19 in september. Unless I had a 12V LED module knocking around I wouldnt bother.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2022 at 10:45am
Ah OK - thought mebbe it wasn't really worth messing with. My mate is only curious about it really .... he likes fixing things for the hell of it sometimes :-)

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply