Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Driver for Mini Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 10:30pm
+1 for give it a try. I regularly use my ms18 MK2 for house and techno nights but crossed to es18s and personally really enjoy it, still has a bit of the characteristic scoop sound. Worth experimenting with crossover, I found in the 65/70 Hz region to be preferable good luck! 
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2022 at 7:05pm
  I've four ms18 mk1's loaded with v18 1000's in a local venue, to my ears they sound much like a reflex cab (with better sensitivity) but with some of the characteristic scoop 'growl', they're pretty punchy, very musical and play with some authority down into the 30's with a bit of low shelf eq. Genres played through them can be literally anything but mainly house, trance/hard trance and techno. 
 I run four turbosound tse118 copies above with the frequency ranges overlapping, 35-90 on the minis, 50-180 on the kicks and with delays and phase set accordingly it sounds very rounded and full.
 Amps are two Proline 3000's and contrary to what's been mentioned they do the job without breaking a sweat, however, the venue isn't huge so the system is just ticking over most of the time, I've absolutely no need to try and extract every last db from each driver.
 Also, as mentioned the mk1 ms18 can suffer with over excursion problems but doubling up the rear panel in the chamber and extending it by about 75mm to narrow the throat along with adding extra bracing in the chamber will reduce excursion at the expense of some low end response. 
Casual1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 2:45pm
Thanks for that.

Is there any particular benefit to overlapping the frequency ranges between the scoops and the mids? I was thinking about setting the scoops at 37-70Hz and the mids at 70-200Hz as a starting point and tweaking from there but hadn't considered overlapping the frequencies.

I'm nowhere near clued up enough to start modifying the cabs. Is the over-excursion issue something I need to be particularly concerned about or is it just a case of being careful not to push them too hard?
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Casual1977 Casual1977 wrote:

Thanks for that.

Is there any particular benefit to overlapping the frequency ranges between the scoops and the mids? I was thinking about setting the scoops at 37-70Hz and the mids at 70-200Hz as a starting point and tweaking from there but hadn't considered overlapping the frequencies.

I'm nowhere near clued up enough to start modifying the cabs. Is the over-excursion issue something I need to be particularly concerned about or is it just a case of being careful not to push them too hard?

I personally, would not be usng Scoops, unless running them upto approx 90hz, and kick bins from 70hz - 180hz. Just gets rid of many issues.

But then I'm a Reggae/Dub dude, so live for the crowd re-action, when it's time to bring in sub on the pre-amp, that measures 8.2 on the Richter scale.

Edited by levyte357- - 30 October 2022 at 4:06pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 12:33am
Another person in favour of overlapping the frequencies between subs and mids then. I'll give that a go and see how it sounds.

I've never been to a reggae party so the video you posted was certainly an interesting watch. What is happening when you flick the switch on your pre-amp? Does it turn the signal to your scoops on and off completely or just remove the lower part of the scoops frequency range?

Edited by Casual1977 - 31 October 2022 at 1:04pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 3:25pm
Just a reminder, I have 4x "BRAND NEW" PD1851 drivers for sale, "UNOPENED BOXES".

They would be perfect for these cabs, and are 4 ohm, so very easy to drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 1:11am
How much would you want for a pair?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2022 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Casual1977 Casual1977 wrote:

How much would you want for a pair?

PM sent
_Natty_ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Natty_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2024 at 9:14am
does anybody make some proper simulation? is vrc setting to 0 right? how we can add the back chamber to the sim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234