Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shure SM58

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shure SM58
    Posted: 28 October 2022 at 9:11am
Hi all, can anyone identify if this Shure SM58 is a legit or fake please.

Google a few differences between the real and fake and the only difference I could see from the majority of real on these is the wiring..yellow normally on the negative and green on positive whereas on this photos are opposite or color doesn’t matter as long as they where wired correctly.

Price looks too good to be real?
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 9:13am
And also the Made in Mexico writing at the bottom and the bold CE marking..
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 11:04am
Looks legit to me. 

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 1:06pm
The main difference I've noted between the legit and the copies is the weight difference - usually because the fakes don't have the transformer!  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 9:17pm
Handling noise is often worse too. I think the copies use the wrong grade of rubbery stuff for the shock mount.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2022 at 11:17pm
There were loads of fakes around a few years back and one of the indicators then was that the connector pins are (were) gold plated on the real ones. Another was the lining of the case was different. But as I said this was a few years ago aand Shure may have changed the spec.

There's always loads on google about this topic.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2022 at 12:31am
looks ok in the pics but it's always possible the pics are a real one and you'll get one that is subtley different. There is not a huge margin on Shure SM58's so there's little room for a legit dealer to discount one. If it's too cheap, it's a fake.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2022 at 8:56am
Thanks all. 

Decided to order one……will further check actual unit once it arrived. As Kevin said is so true, picture might be of the real one but actual unit arriving could be a fake one…..

Can always return it I guess……will update post once I received (fingers cross it wont get lost due to the RM strike😀).
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2022 at 11:22am
Yes - with e-baaa you can always open a case & get a refund.

I just ordered a couple of pumps to repair a fog machine. The idiots didn't pack them very well and the little plastic thingie on one was broken. I opened a case and got a refund the next day. All sorted. And good thing that I ordered 2!   Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 12:32pm
If you look at his feedback, he has been accused of selling fakes.

Edited by Andylaser - 30 October 2022 at 12:33pm
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2022 at 3:37pm
Actually if you read the feedback fully it seems that the 2 bad entries came from the same buyer (different accounts). From the sellers reply it seems that the buyer bought one and tried to claim it was not delivered..... he lost the case.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2022 at 3:34am
Yeah that looks like a real SM58 to me too. 
I bought a pair from a guy a couple years ago and as soon as I picked them both up I could tell one was a fake... it was noticably lighter. The other things they say to look for were visible with these as well, one had no marking at all in the connector, the cartridge looked slightly different, and the SHURE font on the body was also slightly different. I still bought both of them but he essentially threw in the fake for free.
Upon getting them home I fully dismantled both and the transformer in the fake was hillariously small while the Shure transformer filled the whole body width, so although they both work I'm sure the fake would show it's stripes if used in a loud environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply