Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL control29s worth using?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL control29s worth using?
    Posted: 05 December 2022 at 7:10am

Hi everyone!!!

Please ignore the mess as I just moved things into the house.

Im trying to get a low budget PA system for outdoor parties 40 people to larger, but the crowd is all festival people that like loud hard hitting house music.

I have 4 JBL control29s, 2 are great, 1 needs a new HF driver, and 1is untested. Are these worth using? They're more for a different application and I'm not sure if I should:
A) use 2 or 4 of these, B) add another 12" size speaker for lower mid and use them for higher freq, C) Upgrade the drivers in them or D) not worry about them and just buy nice active tops/ build MT112s as usually suggested on this forum. If I didn't have them the options would be simpler, lol.
I also plan on adding speakON connections, as wiring them with a screwdriver is less than mobile friendly, and maybe removing the 70v transformer circuit as recommended by someone, but I don't think that would change much.

For subs I figured I would start with a 18" Frontloaded BR Box (or two) with B&C 18TBX100 as that seams like a good option to be scalable and/or put into a different cab later. The Tham has got me reconsidering that a bit as it's just ungodly loud for having the small unoptimized 150watt speaker.

If you care the story is, I recently purchased a crown cdi 1000 and 4 JBL control29s for next to nothing as I wanted the amp. For funsies and curiosity I built the tham 15 out of extra scrap plywood, running off of the EP1500 in bridged mono. I took two of the tops and the sub out to a buddies house yesterday and was pretty impressed with the tham considering the driver is a free 2000s EV force15 with a patch I added! I would be impressed to see it with a 15TBX100 or nicer driver. 

Project for tomorrow night is to make a 6U case.

Post Reply Post Reply