Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP input, output, limiters, crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSP input, output, limiters, crossover
    Posted: 14 December 2022 at 4:39pm
Hi all!

I have a sound system of 5 ways and I am moving to a DSP (Xilica xp-4080) but I'm trying to understand what's the best setup for it.

I have several questions:
  1. Crossover - which kind of crossover do you suggest to use (Butworth, Linkwitz, etc...) my cuts are 75hz - 190hz - 2200hz - 7000hz
  2. Limiters - I am using the Limiter calculator from http://www.funktion-one.net/settings/limiter-calculator/ - Funktion One, but I have a question regarding the amps: from what I understood limiters work when the amplifiers are set all the way up (volume) but what if I have a bigger/smaller amplifier? in case the amp is bigger than the max capacity of the speakers should I still keep the volume to the max or set it according to max watt output matching max capacity of the speakers?
  3. Input/Output gain on DSP - what do you suggest to have as input and output db gain on the DSP?
Thanks a lot!
AD

Edited by admw - 14 December 2022 at 5:45pm
marksantangelo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksantangelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2022 at 2:51pm
I’ll keep eye this thread 

As newbie here to an I’ve bought an MC2 delta 80 with on board DSP an have read the manual but don’t understand how set program an peak limiters with set funktion one 1201’s
Also Getting gain structure right coming out of dj mixer

Any help or link so can learn an understand this would be great. 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2022 at 12:59am
1. Each one of those filter types has a slightly different response profile so the idea is to use the combo that produces the flattest impulse and phase response through the crossover region when combined with your drivers. If you don't know what your drivers response looks like around your chosen crossover frequencies the you should find out, but to have the least negative impact even order LR crossover filters sum flat and steeper crossovers offer more protection which is important in pro audio, so 24db/oct filters are a good place to start.

2. Yes the amp gains should be all the way up because that is the position where it matches the rated input sensitivity. If you turn the control down then the voltage required to drive the amp to full output goes up, but most of these controls are not calibrated so there is no way to know just how much that will be.
2a. Turning down the controls on a power amp does not in any way reduce the amount of power it can generate.
2b. In most cases the subs in a system are going to be the limiting factor and as you go up the frequency bands less and less power is needed. But it's hard to know with a new system exactly how much power is needed in each band to produce balanced sound because it depends on the speakers and music genre and operator preferences. You don't want the mids and highs to continue getting louder once the subs are out of gas so really once you figure out the signal level where the subs are limiting then all other bands should also limit at the same time. 

3. That is going to depend on the signal levels needed to drive the amplifiers, so no way to know until you figure that out. 

Edited by Conanski - 16 December 2022 at 1:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply