Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie 12V System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie 12V System
    Posted: 14 December 2022 at 4:42pm
Hello lovely people

Me and my good friend plan on building our own cabinets next month. 

Everything will all be powered of a 180Ah(c20) 154Ah(c5) Battery. (I tried to figure out the 'c's but was not sure what applied to me.

so far my thoughts

ROAR 15" Sub

HD15 Kick

MT121 High end

My questions are:

Is this combination of cabinets a good plan for Reggae Dub and Hip Hop?

What drivers and Amps should I be looking to power them meaning the battery will last a couple hours?

and how do I cross them over with said amps and drivers.

Much love

Oscar

Star
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2022 at 3:01pm
The C rating describes how fast you can discharge the battery, expressed as a fraction of its capacity at that rate. 
So for that battery, the C20 figure means this: if you discharge it at (180/20) = 9A or about 110 watts, it will have a theoretical maximum capacity of 180Ah, of which you will be able to use 90Ah without potential for damage to the battery. (10 hours run time)

The C5 figure, similarly, means that if you discharge at (154/5)= 31A or about 370 watts, it will have a theoretical maximum capacity of 154Ah, of which you will be able to use 77Ah without potential for damage to the battery (2.5 hours run time). 

It's important to remember not to discharge lead-acid batteries past 50% if you want them to have a long life. Not that it doesn't happen quite a lot at the average 12v party when everyone gets a bit too well-refreshed to watch the voltage LOL

Lithium batteries, being capable of much higher discharge rates, can have a rating of 10C or even 20C, that's 10 or 20x the capacity figure rather than a fraction of it.

When playing music, your average power draw will be around 12.5% of the peak figure. So a 1000 watt car audio amp is drawing more like 125w continuously. You would get a good long run time from such an amp on this battery - 8 hours or so. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply