Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" sub driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2022 at 7:38am
I think the spec change affected the total height of the driver. Don't think it was a parameter change maybe a new frame.

I think the issue it caused was the newer drivers wouldn't pass through the doors of MkI punishers.
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2022 at 7:33pm
Some years ago I used to own a pair of "Mega of London" 4 x 12" subs. They were loaded with Beyma L12/P300 long-coil rubber surround drivers.

I was very happy with the performance of the drivers (each 8 Ohm) in these boxes, so long as two amplifier channels (4 Ohm each channel) were used to drive each box.

(I did first try powering all four drivers in each box off one amp channel - 2 Ohm load, running though about 10m of 2.5mm sq. speaker cable and it really showed why you should not do this. Really undefined, sloppy bass sound. Last time I ever tried using a 2 Ohm load).

Here is a photo of one of the boxes. (Click on the photo to view full size, not sure why just showing small icon).

https://ibb.co/Tr1XCXB
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2022 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by APC321 APC321 wrote:

running though about 10m of 2.5mm sq. speaker cable

That was your problem, not the 2R load 😂
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2022 at 8:12pm
Mega never used any Beyma bass drivers--The original drivers in those cabs would have been ATC or Mega badged Volt drivers.
All of the Mega cabinets that were around the Midlands in the seventies and early eighties would have come from our hire stock or from club installs that we had carried out and those cabinets would have definitely come from one of our two club installs that used that type of cabinet so they were quite a rare box back then.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2022 at 3:52pm
I have two of these boxes in my lockup!!!
the midtops!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12