Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compression drivers/tweeters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compression drivers/tweeters
    Posted: 31 December 2022 at 12:27am
Question: is there any reason to favor 16ohm compression drivers over 8ohms? If the comps are active crossed and have their own amp channel the only potential advantage I can see is being able to power more comps per amp channel.. correct me if I'm wrong..
Also, I've always thought it's best with compression drivers/tweets to not run at low impedance/too many drivers on one amp channel, i try to keep to one 8ohm driver per amp channel if poss or 2 8ohm drivers per channel at a push.. my question is: could there be any issue running say 4 16ohm drivers or 2 8ohm drivers from an amp channel for hf? Is there really any advantage running hf amp channels at say 8ohms max?
Reverence Sound system

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2022 at 12:47am
If you're just running a single compression driver then there's no big difference between 8R and 16R drivers, except that the higher impedance driver will require a higher Voltage from the amplifier for the same power.

When looking at a system as a whole, there are various reasons why a designer might choose to use 16R drivers.  If a cab contains multiple compression drivers (such as a line array) then two drivers can be paralleled but still present an 8R load for a single cabinet.

In the case of a 2 or 3-way cab containing a passive crossover and where the HF needs to be attenuated (as is normally the case), a 16R HF driver may reduce the power needing to be dissipated in an L-Pad for example because the driver will naturally draw less power for the same Voltage input.

Post Reply Post Reply