Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

high UK mains voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: high UK mains voltage
    Posted: 06 February 2023 at 11:30am
Hi

I live in Bristol and have always noticed that the mains voltage seems higher than where I have lived previously. I don't think I've ever seen it below 245V in my house. Venue where I work at is regularly exceeding 250V and seems to have increased gradually over last year..

It's supposed to be nominal 230V and in the range 216V to 253V. Some of my amps are specified to work on up to 260V which isn't very far above what we are getting out the mains. We have some distro equipment in the venue that has voltage protection alarm and cut out. Should I set these to protect the equipment or am I being paranoid about something that everyone else is living with without problem. Was thinking alarm at 253V and cut-out at 260V.

cheers
Phil
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 1:41pm
I would ask the DNO (Western Power?) to fit a datalogger to the premises in question, I assume they still do this sort of thing
Kevin

North Staffordshire

fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 2:54pm
I had high voltage at home last year, spoke to SPenergy who fitted a data logger, showd a high of 257V so they knocked it down on the neighbourhood pole mounted  transformer, I'm also at the far end of the line from the transformer! They did also check the other phases to make sure non were at the low end in case the phases were unbalanced.
As an aside, they initially suggested it could be solar panel feed in that was temporarily upping the voltage, at least they tried to fob me off with that until I pointed out that solar pv needed solar and that wasn't very plentiful at 2am. For solar pv to feed in to the grid, the grid voltage needs to be several volts below 253V which is the max the inverters will go to, so if high voltage on the line, solar pv can't add anything onto the grid, go figure...

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2023 at 7:21pm
From the National Grid website:

In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts.
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2023 at 8:24am
i don't really have anything meaningful to add, but i would say that more protection is almost never a bad thing :)
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2023 at 7:10pm
FWIW, I'm in East Bristol, (well, South Glos actually), and I've pretty much always had 243 - 250 Volts.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply