Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A loudspeaker with a wide dispersion for the main
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A loudspeaker with a wide dispersion for the main

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A loudspeaker with a wide dispersion for the main
    Posted: 19 February 2023 at 4:41pm
Hello,
I am thinking of building new tops to replace my EV elx115.
I need smaller and lighter packs than elx115 which will be used together with Cubo15 (2.1 or sometimes 2.2 sets).
I use them mainly for events such as birthdays or weddings for 50-200 people, and sometimes a small clubbing for friends.

I can buy the Oberton 12CX at a good price, but I don't know if the conical dispersion 80* is not wide and if such a speaker will be suitable for playing at a distance more than the near field.

Can you give me advice if the choice of the driver is appropriate?
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 2:55pm
We run similar coaxial wedges as mains for small events successfully.  The 80 degree horizontal dispersion is typical for a small PA main but they also have 80 degree vertical dispersion which is much wider than normal and very useful at small events where people may get close to the speaker.  They will not handle significant bass but correct selection of port tuning frequency (around 60Hz) and optimization for high flow can bring out a surprisingly potent kick.

In terms of deployment I would recommend:
2.2, high sub crossover (120-140Hz), above head height angled down
nemo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:38pm
Thank you :)
I don't expect significant bass, they will always be together with the subwoofer, so also my plan is to tune to about 60hz. But measurements will say the best choice

High sub crossover is not recommended for cubo15 IMO
Cubo 15 sounds good to 100hz, I prefer crossover even lower like 80hz
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 3:54pm
The published polar response for the average 2-way PA speaker typically describes the output of the compression horn only, at 1khz and below the woofers output tends towards omnidirectional. So to get really wide coverage over most of the audio spectrum from a single box the CD horn must have a wide horizontal pattern(think line array horn) and the crossover to the woofer should be as low as possible which mandates using a large format 1.4", 1.5", 2" exit CD. For added SPL capability use a pair of low-mid drivers, you could use an MTM style layout for best polar performance but nobody will say a MMT layout like the RCF TT4A below sounds bad.

Edited by Conanski - 20 February 2023 at 4:03pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 6:14pm
In my experience speakers with coaxial drivers are great for monitors or other relatively close up work. Also they are great when you can fly them or wall mount them up high, so they are angled down to make best use of the conical dispersion.

But when I have used them with a pole mount on a bass bin I have found that they do not give the projection required compared to a mid / top box of equal quality with a 90 x 40 horn for example. This is even if you use an angled pole mount adaptor of maybe 10 degrees. Especially noticable in rooms with quite low ceilings for obvious reasons.

So in answer to the original question in this thread, I do not think that the choice of a coaxial driver is appropriate for the kind of applications planned.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2023 at 9:12pm
Have you tried coaxial drivers with horns, like b&c 12hcx76?

Post Reply Post Reply