Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BASS LINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 1:16pm
"Sound Reinforcement Handbook" by Davis & Jones (aka the Yamaha book) and Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Dickason will sort out at least 75% of what you need to know, and about 350% other stuff you don't know you need to know yet too Wink
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 1:30pm
I’ve downloaded it but can’t remember the last time I read since the kids came along Smile 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2023 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

One of the reasons I’ve ventured down this path (now questioning this choice ha!) was because of the lack of entry level information available! Probably due to the complexities of Sound System, but I’m surprised with the advent of internet & social media that some answers remain a mystery when put into a search engine!

The internet is a fabulous resource but the one catch is you have to know what questions to ask to get the information you desire which is a bit of a catch 22 situation when you don't know what you don't know. One of the things you will discover about the internet is that zeroing in on specific info requires very specific queries.. sometimes depending on spelling, grammar, or even the order of the words in the query, and with technical info it's best to first find out what the correct technical term is for it and search that instead of a slang or coloquial version of the term.

Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

I understand gaining the knowledge also comes with time, reading, researching and hands on learning which in the past would be in the form of being a box boy. So I suppose I’m trying to make the leap into sound system without having done the apprenticeship. But as a record collector who has had a home DJ/audio set up for over 37years I’m surprised just how much of a leap it is.
There is a lot of science and technology behind sound reproduction and reinforcement so there is plenty to learn if you want, but in general there is little risk to blindly experimenting as long as you follow some basics like don't short the speaker cables, that is also very instructive. You now have quite the collection of parts so if you have the room you should try a bunch of different combos to see what you like. Start with safe processor settings, low power levels.. only a few watts, and the most basic speaker setup... a 2-way with one 15 and HF horn, make it sound good and then add a sub to make it 3-way.  

Edited by Conanski - 30 March 2023 at 3:13pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 8:23am
Had a bit of luck and found the other x2 Kappa Pro LF (same age), they were pretty local and a good price, I just didn’t know if I would see them again so as you say I pretty much have everything to have a play around with.

I’ll give you all a few weeks off LOL while I move a few drivers around, sell a few bits and generally sort boxes then it’s onto speaker cables and connectors etc last question though Big smile you say “don’t short the speaker cables”? What are the most likely causes of this? I presume I will need to check the gauge of my wire is suitable going to larger amps/drivers of 4ohm & 8ohm etc? 

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 8:36am
To "short" means in this context to short-circuit, that is, don't connect the two conductors together when connected to an amplifier. 
The result eill be a tripped breaker at least, or a burnt fuse, or worse ......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 10:12am
With home audio it’s easier because you have red & black and it’s never happened with my home audio set up. I think a situation in which I could come a cropper is linking speakers by cable runs as I’m used to using a +-cable to each speaker back to amp or splitter.

So I’m wondering in what situations does it occur?

I also presume moving any cables around should be done whilst powered down or is it a case of connecting in wrong order like a + to a - ?

I’ll be back on here in a few weeks for my next lesson when I get to the plates/connectors & cable stringing stage! Could be a while as I’ve got plenty to do before then as space is limited until I shift the unsuitable cabs I bought and have!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 2:25pm
Shorting speakers cables is possible and most likely when dealing with bare wires or 1/4" connectors... as the connector is inserted or removed it often momentarilly shorts + to -, but it can't happen at all with Speakon connectors so it is recommended you use only those and convert all the boxes you have to Speakon. These can also be safely  disconnected/connected with the amplifiers on but one of the best practices for sound systems is that the amplifiers be powered on last and off first. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 3:03pm
Speakons are part of the next stage (when the bank balance allows it!) as most of the boxes are jacks. Just missed out on a bag of x25 speakons for £25 too! Plenty of little jobs to do on the cabs in the meantime 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2023 at 12:26pm

I’ve been looking at Amplifiers for my Lower Mids (x4 15” PV BW - 500w continuous/1000w program) or Bass (x4 15” Eminence 15LF - 600w continuous/1200w program)

I have a x1 Crown XLI3500

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xli3500

(Kicking myself now because the person I bought it from had x2 but I only bought one at the time as I just didn’t have the money, regret it now as it was a bargain and in amazing condition)

I have a budget of upto £300 max so it will be a used buy.

Basically the advice I had when I started getting my amps was stick with QSC or Crown. Sound advice but the larger amps by QSC/Crown are pricey, I may drop on a bargain again and have got time to wait but I want to make sure I’m getting what I need as earlier in this post someone mentioned running my bass through bridged mono into x1 channel.

Alternate options I’ve seen are a “Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP Power Amplifier with DSP” at a good price which seems to have the capabilities but I’m just wondering what this built-in DSP is and its digital I think? Could I over ride the built in DSP? And should I avoid mixing digital with my other amps.

Carver PT-2400? But reading up people say the internal fans aren’t great. 

Shoukd I wait it out for QSC/Crown or are there alternate maker, thoughts?

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2023 at 1:29pm
That Crown has plenty of power to push any of your drivers, they won't handle any more than thier continuous rating with most modern program material. 

The iNuke is a class D amp, these are incorrectly referred to as a digital amplifier all over the internet, this type of amp is actually still analog. The DSP inside is quite useful but if you already have a DSP processor it is redundant. These Berry amps are decent performers but many users will upgrade to something else eventually.

I'm not a Carver fan... never have been. When they work they are fine bit if it breaks down you will have trouble getting it fixed. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2023 at 1:43pm
Thanks.

15” Reflex Cabs on the way. Then I’ll look at Amp & Connections and maybe even wire/cable upgrade but have plenty of small jobs on the Cabs outdoors now Spring has Sprung!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234