Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ported enclosure for RCF L18P400

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testmuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ported enclosure for RCF L18P400
    Posted: 24 March 2023 at 8:45am
I want to build a ported enclosure, just to be able to use it on all kinds of events and situations. Will be not such big events but a few outdoor parties and the rest indoors. I have for the subs the RCF L18P400 (2 of them), so that is what I will use anyway. I looked at the Sub18 from Bill Woods, the RCF sub-708 AS and the  TTS 18A. The design from Bill Woods is not "nice" is size, if I use it I will lower the height and increase the depth. I wonder if it will make a difference if the driver will be much closer to the port then how it is situated in the original design. In practical way I would like to stack 2 on top of eachother to have a height of about 1.45 to 1.50 and have enough height for my top what will be the Club15 (RCF L15P530 and ND350) and will be 64 cm in height.   

link to Bill woods design: 
http://www.rcfaudio.ro/suggested-designs_v2/Suggested-Designs-SUB-18.pdf

To the TTS 18A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iypMrs_DR4

the 708
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJPmnJOGTL8&t=209s

and another what I don't know but maybe somebody knows it here ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ59z0wNpg8
Any ideas ? Suggestions ? 

Thanks in advance 

Marcel

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 11:56am
I would not look at such youtube account. The one from the link has "designs" that are based on pure looks.

The L18P400 has been around for some while and likes a larger box compared to the newer drivers. Something along the lines of >180L. B&C Sub18 could be a nice fit.

You can alter the Bill Woods design as you mentioned, I would not expect big changes in performance. But it sure is big!

Are you already settled on the top? Such small hf driver with that crossover is imho really pushing it and still not optimal for a 15" driver (you want a lower crossover).
testmuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testmuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2023 at 4:14pm
For sure I will not blindly build a cab from such a youtube channel. 

I think I will go for the Bill Woods design in my own style. I don't know what driver goes in to the original TTS18A and don't know what to expect with my driver in it. 
I wanted to go for a Neo 18 inch driver but still there is not much  available on the moment from RCF and I will not wait 12 till 20 weeks Cry 

I know the RCF L18P400 from a friend who is using it in the EV ELX-200SP sub. It impressed me much but I think as what you said is that it likes a bigger cabinet.

The top (club15 LP) I know very well. Sounds very good and the driver did not blew till now according to the owner and is running it a few years. Difference is that i will cross it active. I do not have good experience with passive filters. Had one in the RCF KITT 1300 for mid to top. We changed the filter 4 times and the problems where gone when we wend active.  

If it does not give the result as I hope it will, then I can try the RCF N650 as driver. I have the wish to stay with the 15 inch because I want to be able to run without subwoofer. The place where I have a gig once a 2 months has not enough space for the subs.   

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 6:09pm
A good filter will not give problems, a bad one will.

Why only RCF? There are a lot of pro manufacturers, and several have custom designs.
testmuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testmuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 7:59am
A good filter would do indeed a good job, to develop a good filter is not easy. It takes a lot of trial and error in my experience. It is for a very good reason why the proffesionals prefer the active aproach. Much more control and some other advantages like no loss in power in the filter and not to forget one part less what can brake. 

I have used a lot of professional brands. I prefer RCF because it is in my opinion the best overall speaker arround. Clear, loud and durable. It is a matter of choice and I choose what I really like, like the selected components. I have quite some personal experience with the L18P300 and I like it a lot. The L18P400 is in the subs from a friend of mine. He replaced the original EV's in his sub and the result is amazing. So I  am now looking forward to hear it in my own setup. 
The L15P540 combined with a ND350+HF94 I heard also but the combination is not  right.  The ND350 needs to be crossed at 2kh+ not to blow and the L15P540 sounds not that great and the range from 1Kz to 2 Khz in my opinion, to much screaming effect in it, don't know how to discribe it but it is not as clear as the L15P530 what has a very good sound in that range. With the big HF94 and the small ND350 it brings like 109db/1w and the L15P530 has 100db/1w. It is crossed at 1,5 to 1,7Khz and needs about 50 watts to keep up with the L15P530 on full power.  My gigs are not bigger then 400-500 persons on high volume. This set will do it perfectly for me. 

My biggest wish is to build a good looking set what performs very well. I like when top and sub match very nicely. I have chosen to build the design from Bill Woods but in the shape of RCF SUB 708. I have a CNC routertable and like to build nice things :) 

smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2023 at 10:02am
Just saying a world will open. Good luck with your build!
 Post Reply Post Reply