Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver matching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver matching
    Posted: 30 March 2023 at 9:51am
Hey folks, 

After years of lugging around huge speakers, I'm looking to build something a bit more manageable. Generally speaking it's for live music, background or parties in your average village hall, around 100 people.

Currently I'm using some old Peavey Hisys 5XT which give a lovely warm sound but one of the tweeters is on it's last legs and they weigh a metric ton.

Current thought process is to build some 10" or 12" mid/tops and have a go at building a THAM12 or a LonelyTH12 - the idea being that whilst the overall weight is probably more, the weight of each cab is a bit more manageable. I can also use stacking poles rather than having to lug around stands etc.

Anyway - long story short, does anyone have and recommendations on how to match drivers? 

Currently the LonelyTH12 is recommending a  https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_speaker_12_280_8_w.htm but, it seems, well, too cheap! Happy to invest in drivers if theres something better that matches.

Is there an 'easy' way to match with alternatives? What parameters should I be looking to get close to each other?

For tops I'm considering the Celestion CKT-TF1225 

(or is my plan just silly and theres better things I should be looking at...)

Edited by MrMagic - 30 March 2023 at 9:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply