Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are my def tech speakers really bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnpu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are my def tech speakers really bad?
    Posted: 07 April 2023 at 4:26am
Running Denon AVR X4500 H. 9.2 system with DefTech mythos ST towers for front left and right and CS9080 center.
My receiver went into protect mode, so I sent to a certified denon repair shop. They told me left front channel in the amplifier circuit was blown. They told me to check that speaker before I reconnect the system. Disassembled the speaker and tested resistance at the woofer… 3.8 ohms. This is a 8 ohm speaker so that concerned me. Checked the CS9080 and the right speaker and they both also read 3.8 ohms. All of the other speakers in the system are reading at roughly 7 ohms. I contacted deftech-support and they said they must all be blown and offered to sell me $600 worth of replacement parts. This seems really odd to me that three speakers that were working perfectly fine before I sent my AVR off all blew at the exact same time and it was only the powered DefTech speakers.
I’m thinking that maybe because these are powered speakers perhaps they read differently than a non-powered speaker and there’s actually nothing wrong with them. I’m just afraid to connect and test and damage my AVR again. Anyone have any experience or information on this?

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 7:19am
Firstly, measuring driver impedance with a normal meter will only get you a DC reading which will usually read approximately 30% lower than the nominal impedance. 3.8ohms DC equates to around 5.5-6 ohms which, whilst unusual, is used by manufacturers to match to amplifiers in self powered designs.

Secondly if the driver moves smoothly when you push the cone (gently and evenly) while reading a reasonable DCR the chances of it being burned out is remote. I guess the manufacturer is trying to sell you expensive parts.

Am i right in thinking that you have your self powered speakers connected to the speaker output of your Denon unit ? If so, does your powered speaker have a dedicated high level input or just a line level one? Either type is unlikely to damage the amplifier but obviously you can not connect the speaker output of the denon to a line level input. 

Connecting your self powered speakers from a line level output on your Denon couldn’t hurt the denon’s output stage
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 7:40am
Im not sure you will find much help for HT on this forum, but ill try.
A passive 8ohm speaker shouldn't measure 3.8 ohms, but bear in mind that this is a dc resistance you're measuring and not an ac impedance so don't expect an 8ohm speaker to have a dcr of that value.
 Those Mythos speakers are a mixture of active and passive. The top section with tweeter and 2 midrange drivers is purely passive, and the bottom driver flanked by 2 abrs is effectively an active subwoofer. This subwoofer can either be driven from the speaker terminals or from its own line input. That may be why your DC measurement is lower than expected.
  There are various ways to connect that system. Setting the front left and right speaker size to "Large" in the Denon setup menu and driving them with just the speaker cables is the most obvious, but if you're not using a separate active subwoofer then setting the front speakers to "Small" and connecting the 2 subwoofer line outputs from the Denon to the line inputs might be a better idea.
  That Denon AVR also has preamp outputs for all channels, so setting the speakers to "Large" and using both speaker and line level may take the stress off the amp.
  Those multi channel Denon AVRs don't like driving difficult loads on all channels. There may be a way to select 4 or 8 ohm speakers in the menu, but I can't remember so do check the manual as it might be a hidden menu item.
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2023 at 9:40am

If you haven't done it already, I would suggest you follow the above steps and try 4 ohms for your speakers.

Edited by Lucasdude - 07 April 2023 at 9:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply