Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Splayed speakers ground plane measurments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Splayed speakers ground plane measurments
    Posted: 01 May 2023 at 10:58am
Im going to start taking ground plane measurements of my mids and tops today. Just checking beforehand im going to be doing it correctly as the tops and mids are splayed, i assume i still just take the measurements with the mic aimed at the centre point between the 2 drivers?

My other thinking was maybe its done taking 1 reading of each speaker aimed at the centre of each driver and then averaging the response? Both the mids and tops are joined in parrallel so i cannot play 1 driver at a time.

Edited by Jack1991 - 01 May 2023 at 11:39am
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 11:06am
nothing to add, but commenting here as would be interested in any resources / guides related to measuring!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 1:19pm
What program/device are you using for the measurements?

I'd take several measurements at different angles and see how the response changes with the angle. That should tell you a lot about the way your cabs are working -- or not!!  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

What program/device are you using for the measurements?

I'd take several measurements at different angles and see how the response changes with the angle. That should tell you a lot about the way your cabs are working -- or not!!  Smile

Cool cheers man ill give it a try at various ways then. I am using a umik 1 mic and rew. 

Im onto the mids now. Just realised i had to turn off timing reference for it to measure the response once id set the crossovers as it wasnt picking up the start or end tones

Edited by Jack1991 - 01 May 2023 at 2:13pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:27pm
Measurement mics are omnidirectional, and according to good practice they are not pointed at the speaker, but rather orthogonal = at a 90° angle, sideways, up or downwards relative to the sound source. 

Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Measurement mics are omnidirectional, and according to good practice they are not pointed at the speaker, but rather orthogonal = at a 90° angle, sideways, up or downwards relative to the sound source. 

Thanks for the info. I think i may have worded my question slightly wrong though. I should have said "aim the speaker driver" toward the mic. The mic itself will be staying in the same position each time, led down with the tip on the solid floor. 

As the mids are splayed i wasnt sure wheter to aim the box itself so the centre of the 2 drivers are aimed down toward the mic. Or take a measurement with the box aimed so the centre of the left driver gets a reading and then re-ajust the box so the centre of the right driver gets a reading, seeing as the box is splayed.
 Post Reply Post Reply