Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sockets/Plugs & Wiring Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2023 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

does anyone know the term for these end crimps as I’m just paranoid after seeing another YouTube Video that if I have any stray/broken wires in the NLF4X they could cause a problem so wondering if I should revisit my plugs! Or am I worrying about nothing!

Ferrule crimp is that what you've seen?

It's always good to double/triple check your work. A cheap 'AV cable tester' from Amazon or ebay with the speakon sockets on it can be very helpful to reduce paranoia. 
SnailSpace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2023 at 9:03pm
Yeah looks like Ferrule Crimp here’s the video https://youtu.be/cOvtE1xmXXc

Thanks will look into a AC Cable Tester 
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2023 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by SnailSpace SnailSpace wrote:

Yeah looks like Ferrule Crimp here’s the video https://youtu.be/cOvtE1xmXXc

Thanks will look into a AC Cable Tester 

AV not AC
Thumbs Up

Like this ..
https://amzn.eu/d/7XWsgaH

I go through one of these a year. You can find cheaper ones with out 8 pole Speakon. Also fast checking signal cables. Saves a lot of time. The tester will last you a lot longer than for me I think. The state some of our cables come back in Confused 

I've moved all our speakons over to nl4fxx as I find sketchy NL4. I have a whole bin of failed XLR signal etc that are no longer a causing problems at events thanks to  those testers.

Edited by KDW32 - 15 August 2023 at 9:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2023 at 10:40pm
Was just doing one of the last 5mm2 cables into a NL4FX and I found removing the little metal (shoe horn) thingy then inserting it once the wire is in a lot easier! Shame I found it out on my last 2 cables Smile typical always the way!

But I’ll get a cable tested as I imagine moving cables or worse if a cable gets squashed/damages it will show too! (I don’t even want to think of cables getting damaged the cost of it Dead)
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2023 at 11:38pm
If you look at the recent post on here about terminating speakons you’ll find a lot of info you’ll wish you had before starting 😂

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnailSpace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2023 at 8:31am
Sorry I mean I got 4.0mm2 not 5mm but yeah I still found that hard going into NL4FX. It’s the actual bare strands going into the hole I found the trickiest part of the whole process of doing this Sound System, I saw all kinds of videos showing solder or twist but only saw the video about the ‘Ferrule Crimps’ yesterday, I’ve just looked at the other Post you refer to and yes that definitely would have been handy Smile knowing that post existed is like wiring a Plug and realising you haven’t put the screw end on and having to redo the whole thing…something else I did a few times! Oh well another chapter for my forthcoming book ‘Sound System - Learning The Hard Way!’

Edited by SnailSpace - 16 August 2023 at 8:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011