Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 HORNS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 HORNS
    Posted: 20 December 2004 at 11:01pm

After 6 months inside my mate freezing cold shed we finally produced 4 1850 horns.  Those prisoners have got it easy belive me.  They are a headache to make out of mdf and now know why pro audio parts charge 650 bills for them. But they are the dogs bollocks forget scoopes the speed is a thrill to experience.  Gonna pursuade my jamaican soundfriend to make them. 

Just fired up my 4 horns today at the old mans pub, loaded with v1000 they sounded awesome.  Lots of fat heavy bass.  Ran them on a darq-audio amp the pa18 1800x2 at 4 ohms stereo only.  Cables were made by van damm cabling in london 4mm.  Dropped some jah shaka tracks, tough sound the bar chairs were moving. Crossover was a berringer, eq a bss opal.  Waitng for a digidrive plus but trying to see if i can get a xta from holland cheap.

Got another 6 to make , pics coming soon.

The 'drunken master' strikes again.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2004 at 2:58am

Only 1 thing--lets just hope that MDF holds up---for cabs that get beat up or are complex to make I always use ply.

I really love marine ply or baltic birch ply tho! Dropped my Martin bins down a whole flight of stairs a few times in a annoying venues which were upstairs sometimes;cos they weigh a ton made of 25mm marine ply with some monster weight driver in em,only the paint got scratched off--and there wasn't even a dent in them.

You won't get that with MDF---would get full of dents if that happened and LOL chipboard would be in pieces and dust.

Edited by ToXiC
MIKEY SOUL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIKEY SOUL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 2:28am

Read somewhere where thay warned about ingesting mdf sawdust. Apparently it is more harmful to your lungs than dust from ply. In any case whenever you're sawing, routing, sanding no matter what, use proper mask/respirator.

I would imagine the waterproof stuff must be using some type of epoxy. Need I say more about its sawdust effect on your system.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2004 at 3:34am

Me hardly ever build cabs out of mdf, and wen i do i wear my gas mask with  toughened glass face mask built in and changeble filters --a bit over the top tho but my ears,nose,mouth and eyes are fully protected even from paint fumes and dust particles.

dubsuction View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubsuction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2004 at 11:58am

sounds good pisshead!

...where in the country are you based?

ez mate

peace+respect-always
**HIGH PRESSURE SOUND SYSTEM**
www.highpressuresound.co.uk
Tito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2005 at 2:07pm

Hi everyone,

Is impossible down here to find Birch wood. Any substitute for this kind of wood (mahogany for example?) What I need is something with same characteristics Thanks & Regards and Happy Holydays

Tito

mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 5:06am

@ Pisshead.Would be great to hear 1850's,never heard any yet. Let us know where you and when ur next firing them up.

I also think you should have gone for the ply,But I've also got scoops made from mdf,looking at that Epoxy paint,you can get for painting garage floors etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EPOXY-RESIN-TOUGH-FACTORY-GARAGE-FLOOR -PAINT-ANY-COLOUR_W0QQitemZ7571203330QQcategoryZ105992QQssPa geNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems petty hardwearing and might stop getting them cabs chipped.Only took my scoops out once,chips dents,etc.Just glad there was'nt any space for anyone to put their beers on em'.Sponge effect......                            

"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 3:16pm

Very cool!  Wish I was close enough to hear 'em!

Pics and charts would be very cool!

Jim

biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2005 at 8:05pm
we've got 10 out on NYE. If anyone fancies hearing them just PM me.
 Post Reply Post Reply