Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X12 - Passive crossover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X12 - Passive crossover?
    Posted: 04 September 2007 at 11:14am
Hi!

I'm planning on building some X12 mid tops using  the recommended drivers on the plans.

Can anyone recommend a suitable passive crossover to use? Not sure whether to Bi-amp or to just build in a passive crossover and run them on one amp.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers :)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 12:06pm
Passive crossover is slightly more difficult for the X12 because of the dual mid driver.  You'd need to design one for 4Ohms on the low side and 8 Ohms on the high side.

Can be done however....
LK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2007 at 2:44pm
Aaaah yeah, of course... forgot about that...

I suppose using 2 amps and an active crossover is more efficient anyway...

What kind of crossover frequencies do these cabs take?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 10:16am
I think that once you get up to cabs with the size and power handling of the X12 it's worthwhile running them active.  You have much more freedom with the crossover and can get better integration between the mids and tops.

Mine aren't loaded with the recommended drivers but I'd suggest starting with a crossover point around 1.2kHz and working from there.  I'm not sure how low the suggested HF horn will go but I can run fairly safely down to about 900Hz.  Within reason, the lower the better but without endangering the HF driver.

Post Reply Post Reply