Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIGHTY DUB PASS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 4:12am
Originally posted by 510 510 wrote:

... 24hz to 300 ,... 1metre 1 what 113 

Yea.. yes of course

.. BH940 is in fact just "average" bass horn (nothing special but not bad)
Snsitivity of single un-processored cabinet at 30Hz is 97db/1W/1m an than climbing to ~107,5 at 100Hz .. and than climbing even more at upper freq. but that is out of "usable band" (according to EAW measurement graph) 
It highly rely on processoring to even up response.

And also .. it can play 200Hz (even 500) .. as many bass horns can do(scoops tooTongue) .. but how it sounds is another story -  (for example try to set cuttof at 200Hz and listen vocal lower tones through BH940).

..not trying to continue pointless arguing across the topic , just to say some facts. Smile

Best wishes.

Edited by staiper - 01 November 2009 at 4:15am
510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 3:00pm
i will agree with you but the 940 is hard to beat, have used them on many ocassions in live shows both reggae, hiphop, blues, rock an roll, country and western, ect box works nicely please remember that this 940 is not an audiophile box but a commercial one i will always use them as i have heard and felt nothing like it , and trust me i have used a lot of riggs
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 1:22am
I missed this thread when it first started and admit that I got bored part the way through. Apologies then if this has been asked and answered before.

The design has been modelled with the designers own software so I'm curious how he modelled the air? In such a small enclosure I would have thought that the air could be considered as a simple fluid and when compressed the pressure at all points on the cone would be equal irrespective of the chamber shape in front of it.

If the prediction suggests that a cylindrical enclosure is required in front of the cone, wouldn't the rectangular enclosure behind it cause problems too?
jsg mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

I missed this thread when it first started and admit that I got bored part the way through. Apologies then if this has been asked and answered before.

The design has been modelled with the designers own software so I'm curious how he modelled the air? In such a small enclosure I would have thought that the air could be considered as a simple fluid and when compressed the pressure at all points on the cone would be equal irrespective of the chamber shape in front of it.

Hi Steve

I designed it using so-called "lumped component" model, which deals with compliances in the way you describe. I modelled the ports similarly.

Over on FSP ( http://www.freespeakerplans.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=64&jfile=viewtopic.php&f=15&t=594&start=0) we've been modelling MIGHTY DUB PASS in Akabak. By about page 3 it's looking the same as my models. The Akabak model uses ducts for the ports and the A chamber. But the B and C chambers would not be any more accurate as ducts than as lumped compliances.

Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

If the prediction suggests that a cylindrical enclosure is required in front of the cone, wouldn't the rectangular enclosure behind it cause problems too?

When I designed it, back in 2007, there was a lot of talk about cones getting ripped due to the wrong type of loading and I was attempting to address that. The B chamber is somewhat bigger than the A chamber, so unlikely to be a factor. To be honest I rather suspect the ripped cones were mostly from people overloading their drivers. Rog, in particular, was warning about his V18-1200 not being suitable for bandpass, which is a shame because in all other respects it would be great for MDP.

If you are not worried about ripping your cones then don't worry about the cylindrical A chamber. It may be that the cylindrical shape doesn't help anyway. What will help is not ragging your drivers like a bitch, of course.

Is MIGHTY DUB PASS now the most famous cabinet that's never been built?

...because Good is Dumb.
cunDJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cunDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:25pm
Pretty slow on the response here but... The eawkf940 looks fantastic, never been a fan of putting handles in horn though, it HAS to cause interference as it changes the shape and size of the horn. Same goes with putting fin supports in there, splits the horn up so you cant go as low. Though bracing the cab in very important so its hard one to get around. Round poles have to be the best bet. I have only just rediscovered my login details so will definitely post the designs to a new thread under horns (if I can dig them out) 

Also, can I get em for under £300 each... I doubt it! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415