Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poo compression driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 4:51pm
I'm after a smooth sounding compact FOH setup, The X15s is my first set of speakers I have ever built (not counting car subs) so I'm still on a learning curve. For what I want, they are doing ok, but I think I could make a smaller and cleaner sounding cab. I've notice from this experience that a 1" isn't ideal to cover down to meet a 15". The 1" doesn't sound that smooth around the critical 2-3.5K for vocals. I'm trying to decide which drivers to put in my X15s for now and I'm also re-thinking what setup to do next.

So far, I either make a 12" with a 1", or a 1" with a 6" and 15" or just a 1.4" with a 15". I've not yet done much research and listening to current systems with these various setups, but now I have a better Idea of what I want.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:11pm
have you thought about the x-10 with a decent 2x15" sub??????
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 12:57am
Where are you in the country Dr Burnz?  I have a selection of cabs similar to some of your options if you were close enough to have a listen.
Dr Burnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 10:47am
I live in Manchester, I've worked on quite a few sound systems before, but I don't alway take notice on what components are used in the cabs. I'll come up with some designs (when I have some time) and I'll post em up to see what you guys think. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Originally posted by Markk James Markk James wrote:

have you thought about the x-10 with a decent 2x15" sub??????

I don't thinks I've heard a setup quite like this one.

Heres a pic of my recently finished X15s:

ToNy MoNtAnA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNy MoNtAnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 11:53pm
A DM2 cut in half Ermm might do the trick, whether that works or not like that.

DM2 is normally 2x 15 inch, 2x 10 inch, 1x 1 inch.

Then again you might as well build a pair of dual 15 inch reflex bins, and a pair of X10's. As the DM2 is very bulky and hard to get through normal sized doors.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2007 at 2:10pm
Dr Burnz: Where are you using these in Manchester?
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2007 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

easy bro.... you took the words out o my mouth....
Wouldnt mind a listen to these Burnz if ya near to us??.....centre of Manch??

peace,
Chris.

ps- even better than that...wouldnt mind a quick topbox shootout to compare em to my 12s.....?
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2007 at 12:00am
Dr Burnz, your handles look like they're upside down.
Dr Burnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Burnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

easy bro.... you took the words out o my mouth....
Wouldnt mind a listen to these Burnz if ya near to us??.....centre of Manch??

peace,
Chris.

ps- even better than that...wouldnt mind a quick topbox shootout to compare em to my 12s.....?

Sorry for the late reply, been busy over Xmas! The X15 sounded great with the BMS 1" drivers!!! Big%20smile Too bad the subs blew!! Ouch Not sure if the amp is to blame.  It seems to be working fine at the moment, but just after the X1s blew, the crown kept in standby mode. Maybe when the  subs blew, it fussed the coils, shorting the terminals. I've not had the chance yet to put a voltmeter on the terminals. It's gonna cost me at least £120 to fix each sub. For now, I don't have that money laying around. Maybe in a month or so.

I live in chorlton. I'll try to remember to let you guys know next time I take em out for a spin. But I don't see that happening untill I get new cones for the X1s. I was thinking of starting a night somewhere (dubstep or DnB, or both), I just need to get this sub problem sorted as I don't want it happening again!!!! Especially in the middle of a club night!

Here's a pic:

Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 10:37pm
I'm running BM-D450's on PH220's with a set of EV DL15X's. These 15's have 101dB sensitivity, 400W AES handling, reference efficiency of 4.63%. We run them of CA9. 1" comes in @ 2.2K odd 18dB. They get used as tops for drunk DJ parties on JBL 2x18 1.6K bass bins or T18's and never give us any sh*t. The tops are there all the time with the ca9 touching red for about 7hrs. Thats with a 12dB hi shelf of 3 dB @ 14k. We don't even see the protection lamps light up.

img299/3320/10005553yz.jpg

www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 10:39pm
The hi shelf is there to get the extension flat. We don't experience any power compression problems
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12