Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Horn Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" Horn Design
    Posted: 08 November 2007 at 5:58pm

Wondering if anyone can help,

i'm making a small set of cabs, very similar to the nexo ps8's. using a 8" pd (pd808) and planning on the DE250.

Not all that sure on what horn to use for the 1" for this type of cab. i do have access to glass fiber moulding facilities etc, and can cast my own horn. would this be the best idea?

i was looking at the 18sound xt1086 horn, as many people seem to rave about the de250 into this horn, but i seem to be struggling to find somewhere to get them, plus i was thinking it may be a tiny bit too big. i was thinking about moulding the bottom edge round the curve of the 8" driver.

is the me10 or me15 not a good horn to get the best from this driver?

Edited by MattyTheRig - 08 November 2007 at 5:58pm
Sounds Good...
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 6:16pm
Depending on the X-over point I would have thought that the DE250 was a bit of overkill to be used with a single 8" driver. If you x'ed over around 2.5-3 k the DE12 would probably suit with the ME10 horn. The D12 like the DE250 makes a fabulous noise.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 08 November 2007 at 6:21pm
MattyTheRig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 6:51pm
i did wonder if the de250 would kill the 8", but it is so well spoke of round here, i thort i'd see what people are raving about...

Sounds Good...
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 7:02pm
It's only a question of how good you want it to be. What ever driver you use, will have to be padded down to the level of the bass speaker anyway. I have to say, all my 8's contained a DE12. and on occasions to match something else, a DE160, always 16 ohms.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by MattyTheRig MattyTheRig wrote:

i did wonder if the de250 would kill the 8", but it is so well spoke of round here, i thort i'd see what people are raving about...

I have recently built some mid-tops that use 2 off Volt 400w 12" with a DE250 mounted between, x'ed over at 2.2 k the DE250 has no trouble keeping up.

Tony
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 12:21am
The DE12 is a great little driver. It's the one that FBT use in the MAXX 4 ans MAXX4A cabinets. It might still be a bit overkill. You're gonna have to pad down by about 15dB to match the PD808. I would  be tempted to try the  DE10.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 12:44am
I'm not keen on the ME10 flare personally, I have a couple, my first couple of cabs had DE250's on ME10's!!!, how silly was that!  You have to cross over quite high, ie 2.5kHz or above and the response generally doesn't seem that great.  I'm sure they're fine with the DE10 in small, cheap cabs.

Maybe the XT120 would be a good choice. Similar to the ME10 in size but just a bit nicer.  Noise control audio distribute 18Sound in the UK but don't advertise it.  You need to phone up and speak to Steve in sales.

I have stock of the other 18Sound flares but only one used (but unmarked) pair of the XT120's.

The XT1086 would be great with a pair of 8" driver but probably a bit overkill for a single.  They're great with a 10" tho.

Compression driver-wise I think the DE12 as suggested above would be a very sensible choice sound and price-wise.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 12:58am
I dont think making your own horns is a good idea unless you have a fair amount of knowledge and measurement equipment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 3:01am
just been having a poke around b&c's website, do nexo actually use b&c drivers for the ps8? not only do the 8" drivers have the 8 sided basket frame, i'm sure they have the inverted dome too...
Sounds Good...
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 10:01am
I got told years ago that Nexo use B&C drivers and I've heard that confirmed on here several times. I'm not sure if they're off the shelf ones or whether they're tweaked a bit.

I've got some 8+1 cabs which have B&C 8PS21 and DE10, on an ME15 horn. The ME15 is an archived product according to B&C's website but I managed to get some ok from Blue Aran. They have 4 in stock now actually! They're ali instead of plastic and a different flare profile to the ME10, so you may prefer them.

The DE10 sounds quite sweet - not as good as the DE250, but as others have said, the DE250 is overkill for partnering with an 8" driver. I haven't heard the DE12 so can't comment but I'd imagine it would be a good choice going by what others have said.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2007 at 4:43pm
as everyone correctly says, when your buying a reputable manufacturer, generically, the more you pay, the better your going to get...

while were on the b+c case, has anyone tried the 12" coaxial's? my next project after these small cabs was some 12" + 1" monitors for live (mainly vocal) work, and sniffing around b+c's website, the 12" neo coaxial lookes quite tasty, and i hear that d+b use b+c's 15 coax in thier monitors....
Sounds Good...
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2007 at 9:24am

Why build your own horn, you won't save any money.

The Nexo uses this horn:

< name=item =https://www.martinpro.com/shoppingcart.asp method=post>

view pdf
H-180  /  CAT NO - 1279

throat: 1"
horn material: ABS with glass filled black polycarbonate
  ...more info

Sugg. List   $ 29.99
OUR PRICE : $ 14.78/ea.
6 or more: $ 13.31/ea.
QTY. < =deion =text maxLength=6 size=2 name=qty2373>

There are also 1" bolt on, and 1.4" throat versions.

Edited by _djk_ - 10 November 2007 at 9:59am
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply