Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

labs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2007 at 3:17pm
I guess you're right they probably could have done better with something like the HD 15s for midbass and have those play down to 80 Hz, then have the Lab horns take over.. I admit, the labs are quite capable of being punchy though.... I do like that...
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2007 at 12:10am
"or did i understand this wrong???"

You got it exactly right. You need to be one wavelength away to make the transition from sound pressure (which you can measure) to velocity (which you can hear). For mids and highs this is a very short distance, for bass it is not.
djk
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2007 at 12:13am
nice for once i read something and actualy vaguely understood it,
i take it thats a rule of sound, ie doesnt only aply to horns and not even just speakers. if you stand too close to any sound source, say a falling brick that just happens to have a very low frequency sound when it hits the floor [not likely but stay with me a second] you technicaly wouldnt hear the fundamental if it was too low a frequency and you were too close.

me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2007 at 10:29am
Actually, it applies to horns only.

A horn is a transformer.

It transforms pressure in the throat to velocity at the mouth.

Direct radiators just beat the air with velocity, that's why they have bass up close.

Unless you have a straight truck and a ramp, real bass horns are not practical. These days I use direct radiators below 150hz.
djk
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2007 at 12:39pm
aha, see i didnt fuly understand it then.
thanks i do now lol.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123