Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

x1 and void driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tendril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x1 and void driver
    Posted: 08 February 2005 at 5:26pm
Hi

I'm sure that this has been covered before:

The x1 plans say that the cabinet is designed for the sd18. What will happen if a void v18 1000 is put in?
Tendril

A mistake is a mistake only if one learns nothing from it.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2005 at 5:48pm

*covers ears*

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 4:13am
The Qts and Vas on the drivers is quite different, I wouldn't try it.
djk
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 4:28am

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

The Qts and Vas on the drivers is quite different, I wouldn't try it.

We're about to!

from the sims we've done it looks like out of the PD1850, SD18 and the V18-1000 the SD18 has the flattest response with the others producing a dip in the middle however that dip is only 1-1.5dB down so it's debatable whether or not you'll actually hear any difference

however whilst Rog used to proclaim a more useable excursion than the Xmax would suggest for P.Audio drivers going on manufacturers figures the SD18 has half the excursion of the V18-1000 so i'm guessing what you lose in flatness of response you gain with a better power handling before excursion limits are reached

anyways we're half way through building an X1 to test with a V18-1000 so i guess we'll find out

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 6:20am

PD and P.Audio are using different ways of calculating the Xmax. If P.Audio would calculated it the same way the SD-18 would have an Xmax of 9 or 10 mm. The PD has only a gapdepth of 9 mm iirc, which is actually pretty small for the calculation used.

Void doesn't show enough data to know which way they're using, but looking at size and weight I would say they use the same calculation as P.Audio. So the useable excursion could be even higher, but again not enough data is released to be sure about this.

Rog did say the V18 1000 could be used in the X1 iirc.

Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 7:14am
I have 8 X1's with V18-1000's and they really do shake anything to death and break your back as well. its an awsome driver and i wouldn't have used anyhting else. 
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
matttcattt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matttcattt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2005 at 5:12pm
Has anyone heard X1's loaded with SD18s and V18-1000s side by side?
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
(and my own bit)
If it is broke, fix it.
(and more)
If you can't fix it, take it apart and see how it "worked".
Jez_Ultra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2005 at 5:51pm

hey Matt, i actually think it was Rog's suggestion to stick the Void in it instead.  I wouldn't be getting too worried about straying from what it says on the plan's.

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2005 at 1:06pm
As far as I know Rog suggested that the design had to be changed for use with the Void driver.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2005 at 4:39pm

Has anyone taken measurements on one?

I would like to see the impedance peaks and the frequencoies they are at to see how close they come to the design.

djk
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 5:15am
Alex promised the measurements of the shootout, but I assume he is rather busy atm.
Mal X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 6:51am
yeah rog did measure my X1's along with my MT122. i think alex has the results
Mal, how loud was that!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply