Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tempest bass horn plans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tunesquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tempest bass horn plans
    Posted: 15 February 2005 at 8:38am

yea any one tried to build the tempest bass horn ? did it work out well ? anyone knows the dB output of the box ?how low can a single cabinet go ?what kinda speakers would work well in the cabinet?

thank for any advice in advance

hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 5:20pm
I have 4 of them, but i don't really have any measurements for them.   I won't be able to measure them until maybe next summer..

Build process was pretty easy. Cabinet should work best with Tempest driver from Adire audio (manufactured by Eminence). Since i live in Finland and we don't have Adire dealer here, i didn't want to pay big taxes, customs, delivery, etc. costs that would have made affordable drivers unaffordable for me. I decided to use Eminence KappaPro15LF-II drivers. By lucky accident i had a chance to ask the designer of Tempest horn whether these drivers are suitable or not, he wrote me that they should be almost ok..  He also suggested that rear volume could be made a bit smaller (by filling the volume with styrofoam etc. then measuring them and adjusting the amount again..etc.) and by doing that i could get 'a real winner' with my drivers..  Though he said that his opinions can be thought as little biased towards his own design..

I may be completely wrong, but i would say that the tempest-bins are pretty efficient to maybe >40Hz (2/side..! I think that's minimum/side). But i can't really tell for sure until i get them measured.

When calculated into 1W/1m-form, their SPL figure is somewhere around 105dB. (With adire drivers..!) I would say that it's very typical for such bins..

I have 2/side and (at least in smaller room) they easily take your breath out, and rock the concrete floor.. They give me also funny feeling that the skin on my forehead flaps with bass.. These are my first real bass bins, so i may have a bit too positive feelings! I think you should take that into consideration!

If i remember correctly, the designer had compared these with Tuba24's. He said that in some parts Tempests win.. In some parts Tubas.. Both are in the same league..

I'm not into electronic music and i think these might not suit well for one (having really low frequencies). But i'm really happy with them on band usage. We play some kind of a metal-music and their performance is more than adequate for our application.

I hope i gave at least some useful information to you.. I don't have more since my driver/bin combination differs from original.. It's all mostly subjective.

Regards,
Jani

p.s. If someone could show me how to model this combination in hornresp....

Edited by hiphei
tunesquad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tunesquad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2005 at 6:50pm

yup do any one know about the yorkville single 18 .it resembles the tempest bass horn alot. any one know the db output of that cabinet???

Post Reply Post Reply