Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macro-Tech MA5000vz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 10:16am
The main reason the vz3600 eats drivers is because it does not have the loudspeaker off-set integrator like the vz5000 does.

If you turn it off on your vz5000, you too can eat woofers like Pacman.
djk
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:03am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

The main reason the vz3600 eats drivers is because it does not have the loudspeaker off-set integrator like the vz5000 does.

If you turn it off on your vz5000, you too can eat woofers like Pacman.

I disagree.

As a MA 5000 user which turned off the Loudspeaker Off-Set Intergrator, and Compressors from the first time I pulled them out of the shipping carton, I can assure you if you know what you are doing you will not lose a driver on the MA 5000, 3600, 2400, 1200, & 600.

I've got a rack of 5 Powerbase 3's that only offer an enable indicator. I never lost a driver on those either. Again, Crown MA amps are steered to those that have a full understanding on what they are doing.

When the MA 3600 was released, it was ahead of its time. Meaning, there wasn't any driver that can withstand 800 - 1000 watts on a continuous basis. Everyone was either using the MA 2400, PRO 8001, or EX 4000 which is not in the same league of the MA 3600 in terms of raw power.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:34pm
I'd second that - if you rely on amp limiters to save you then you are really holding yourself as a hostage to incredibly good fortune.

The limiting and gain structure should be sorted before the signal gets to the amp and the amp should be suitably picked so that any fast transient peaks that do come through aren't going to pop the drivers.

The macrotechs have been said to burn things out quicker than other amps but, whether this is due to their high low end distortion adding to the woes of an already distorted signal I don't know but point is that any decent amp will chew a driver up if you give it a dangerous or clipped signal level.

Clip limiters on an amp can't really do much - they can't magically unclip the signal. There are some amps with sidechain signal limiters but even then, if the system is setup right you should never see the limit light.
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2022 at 8:49am
Sorry to reserrect this old topic.  ...

I don't understand why people think the MA5000vz has distortion in the bass. "high low end distortion".  This is fundamentally wrong.   Actual fact I've measured the distortion on many of these Grounded Bridge designs including the MA5000Vz and they offer some of the lowest distortion available in high power amplifiers.  Only MC2s better them.

Reason being they have very low distortion is simply the very high level of negative feedback in the topology.  Global and local..   Negative feedback is essential in ampliers to lower distortion, widen bandwidth and lower output impedance (damping factor). Negative feedback is what keeps the planes in the air, our ability to balance on one leg or drive our vehicles.  Crown have this negative feedback topology to perfection.  Simply put this is what gives the MA5000Vz the bass and low distortion.   All orders of the distortion is so low.  2nd right through to 9th harmonic...

If people are blowing their speakers they simply don't know how how these amps work and the meaning of the IOC indicators.  The really need to look at their gain stuctures and or limiters a few chains back from the amp.   If you are going to shove 5 volts into the input on the 26db setting of these amps rest assured you are will damage drivers.   

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by shaun1264 shaun1264 wrote:

Sorry to reserrect this old topic.  ...

I don't understand why people think the MA5000vz has distortion in the bass. "high low end distortion". 

One of the reasons for this, could be, many owners cannot afford to get amplifier output sections repaired properly, and in early 2000s, when these were eally in demand, many of them on the market had non Crown transistors, which meant horrible sound.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
shaun1264 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun1264 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2022 at 6:49pm
You are correct in what you say, unmatched bi-polar transistors will cause havoc.  Burn up and mess with ODEP. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123