Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabs for bass guitar..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabs for bass guitar..
    Posted: 30 January 2008 at 6:17pm
anyone had any experience of building cabs for bass guitars ? looking for clues..
bs8901 compliant
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:06pm
Look at what other people have designed for bass guitars and decide what you like.

Do you like a full, rounded sound from just 15" drivers or a faster, harder sound from 10" drivers?  Or a combination of the two?

Then it's a case of finding some drivers you like and deciding what size cabs would be sensible.

Once you can answer all those questions the designs will start to take shape.

Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 7:17pm
Are most bass cabs open back like guitar cabs?
If so, how come?
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 10:03pm
No most bass cabs are reflex designs - BFM cabs were originally designed for electric bass backline but a 2x10 can get over a set of drums.

I would say if you wanted to build something that was reasonably balanced a 2x10 with a properly crossed over tweeter and a smallish 1x15 would be a good choice

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 10:40pm
So happens that in the random driver pile are some fane studio 10m's and pd154's and some 1" Comp's  My mind is struggling with the concept of a passive xover though I do have some tms4 bits.  a two box stack 1x15 2x10+1" seems rather beefy  
bs8901 compliant
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:03pm
That would certainly do it.  I would be tempted not to go as far as a proper 1" compression driver, bit wasted on bass guitar.  I'd use something like the Eminence APT's.

Ideally you'd run that setup two way active.  Otherwise, all you really need to do is roll a bit of the low end off the 10" drivers otherwise they might not like it at high volume.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:28pm
Most bass guitar rigs end up getting run with all the cabs playing the same frequency range but if you want to do it better, cheap 2 way active crossover and 2 channel power amp will do nicely (providing you have a preamp like the Sans Bass DI for some tone and EQ) - If you need more than 100W a box for backline you have a fecking big stage!

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 12:42am
Apart from 1x15 bass reflex cabs, most of the cabs I built my bass players were 2x15plus 2x10 in one cab run 2way active. I think bass cabs can be quite diverse if you get away from fashion i.e. Ampeg 8x10. Dare I say it, look at the late John Entwhistles rig. I know it's the exception, but there wern't many people who didn't like his sound. His bottom end were BS500's with 400 watt Fane Collosus 15's.
4DPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4DPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 2:58pm
Cheers..

The intended application is a rehearsal space.  Single 15" reflex may be a solution.     

In the pile are a pair of pd153's that will do, now where to find a decent box.
bs8901 compliant
maluco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maluco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 9:00pm
hello guys 4x10 bass cab with 18 sound 10w400 .........sugestions ?
drakkn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drakkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 3:29pm
Checkout the Behringer 4 x 10 bass cabs for an idea - the get the outside dims from their website - that will give you a clue or two.

Tony
Tony Davies

Drakkn

Custom Guitars

Flightcases

Speaker Cabinets
 Post Reply Post Reply