Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting speakers into the 1850

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:11pm
yea, i was just trying to understand the layout of what you were talking about, dont you think its a bad idea to have a panel where there will be the most stress in the cab?
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:19pm
The cv b36's I had had the whole top removeable to change drivers, held in place with wood screws. While I think the hatch on the back is a much better solution (& having just fitted drivers in 4 1850's - its not that hard) the cv method worked ok. Considering how old they were (20 - 30 years?) they still seemed to pull up airtight.

my main problem with the hatch idea as above is the ingress of the lip baton into the horn path.

Edited by imageoven - 04 February 2008 at 8:23pm
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 8:33pm
Even the LS1208 has the access pannel at the top, also where the "most stress" is. I think with some kind of rubber seal around the pannel and
a whole bunch of tee nuts it might be able to work. thats just my opinion tho.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:10pm
also the lip piece thingy (on the left of diagram) that the panel screws onto could really affect the front chamber volume - by becoming the throat!
bassboxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassboxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:33pm
yeah imageoven,
even I'm just a "horn-newbie" (ey, horn, not hornyLOL), I have to say your argument about the influence of the lip batons seems reasonable...
There would be kind of an offset of the horn throat, as much as I understand.

However, it seems likely, people have actually done this modification and have been happy with it, haven't they?

Everdark, has your method proven allright, speaking in terms of sound quality?
If so, there's no reason why not to do it the way you suggest.

The stress-area argument ain't that important IMO, as there are in fact a lot of other horn designs having the access panel right in front of the speaker.

but after all, refering to a lots of 1850/1860 builds people on this forum must have done, it certainly can't be that hard to fit the screws the way rog's suggested in his original design (maybe it's me just beeing abit clumsy here...). 

thx everybody so far!

benjamin
I'm still learning...one day i'll be a real speakerbuilder!
bassboxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassboxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:34pm

Jake, you were faster...LOL

I'm still learning...one day i'll be a real speakerbuilder!
everdark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everdark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:45am
don't you think that the whole cab is a stress area?
what about the original situation of the window, where the chamber is much smaller, thus it must suffer more from the speaker vibration, doesn't it?

my method is sort of suggestion, tested in my cabs as not bad.i haven't even used any gaskets,  just screwed it with t-nuts.

also wsx cabs have top position of speaker window, which is only one possible in that construction but no unwanted vibrations and noizes noticed.
music is the only language I really know
everdark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everdark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:46pm

how about this

music is the only language I really know
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by everdark everdark wrote:

what about the original situation of the window, where the chamber is much smaller, thus it must suffer more from the speaker vibration, doesn't it?
That window doesnt have to be as big though,

Howerver, i really like the idea you have just drawn, it looks really sturdy and the inherent bracing of having two layers must be a bonus. and yeah, it would be loads easier to change drivers. but then again.... you may never have to change drivers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12