Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different approach to phase plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different approach to phase plug
    Posted: 04 February 2008 at 3:15pm
I had a thought a while back about a different approach to making a phase plug, but it would only satisfy the requirement of stopping one side of the driver seeing the other - ie. none of the other reasons for using a phase plug would be addressed.

My idea was to use a cross of wood, cut to fit the profile of the cone, like so (please excuse the crap diagram):

Any thoughts? Anyone tried this before? Would it be a total waste of time? If nobody has, I might give it a go when I'm playing about with an 8PE21 on a horn, as it shouldn't be too difficult to knock up...
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:20pm
i had the same thought, but with the divider being longer and doubling up as a brace too
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:25pm
Yeah, it might need to extend into the horn throat somewhat. Then it might turn into something resembling a multicellular horn...?
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 6:25pm
looks rather like the phase plugs in the mid horns of my nexo si2000 rig - and they work well. they are only in the throat, and dont extend into the flare. the drivers in use are 6.5", and run from 230 to 2.5 khz
 Post Reply Post Reply