Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats the problem with 3" diaphragm drivers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats the problem with 3" diaphragm drivers?
    Posted: 06 February 2008 at 6:46pm
I love bullets but can't really justify them when the HD2 on modern 3" diaphragm 2" exit drivers seems so low up to & over 10khz.  the HD2 on beyma a cd750ti is almost 30db down at 8khz (i dont care what it is above this cos i cant hear much above 16khz anyway!)
  Does the distortion at higher power levels ramp up really fast?  Is the transient response poor compared to a much smaller diaphragm on a 1" or 0.75" exit driver or bullet tweeter?
What I cannot create, I do not understand
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 8:25am
Read some of the research papers published on HD in compression drivers and you will find that it has very little bearing on the way that the driver sounds (especially HD2). Other factors have way more influence.

Tony

Edited by Tony Wilkes - 07 February 2008 at 8:26am
Calitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 11:46am
There was some discussion about different sized drivers some time ago (pretty specific, huh...) and the biggest problem with 2" drivers with people, like myself, is the metallic sound they give above 6-8 kHz. It's just the problem with physics in the throat of the driver and diagphram which causes cancellation at 7-8 kHz and after that the diagphram starts to cause some distortion and harshnes which tend to break up the sound.

Look at the frequency responses of 2" drivers vs. 1,4" and 1" drivers and you'll see the diffrence in response. 1,4" and 1" drivers have a much flatter relative response in their usable range and require much less EQing which keeps the sound much cleaner even though they might lack the highest sensitivity but I rather pick quality over sensitivity.

In personal experiences, I haven't heard any really good quality 2" driver ever, as they all seem to have that effect in all of them. I have heard good quality 1,4" drivers and I many times wonder why would anyone want to get a 2" version as usually they have the same power handling but the 1,4" driver has so much better sound quality so I would always go for a 1,4" driver over any 2" one. But this is just my personal preference.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 3:20pm
If you read the posts about coupling you can see why it would be preferable to have a single point source that can do 500-700hz up and give 135-140 db.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply