Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punishers, comparable to what??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punishers, comparable to what??
    Posted: 23 February 2005 at 4:03pm

My friend asked me to suggest/build him some new subs.  He's looking for something small, but with some good output.   To my mind came the Punishers.  The thing is I've never heard them, so I can't clearly tell them what they sound like or which other sub compares to them.  His intentions for now are to use them as singles or pairs per side.  I don't know if using them as singles or pairs will give a good impression (which is what he's looking for - To impress people with such little box).  What other horn could be compared to the punisher in terms of spl/freq response?  Cerwin Vega ?36????

Thanks

tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2005 at 7:02pm

They would have a 'hard' sound characteristic with alot of kick and no 42hz lows.

the CV bins could be compared to,in which case theyd lose because they have big midbass humps in response. [imao]

12" vs 18" driver

Long horn vs short horn...

PeterM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:38pm

I think you will find the Punisher is very close in design to EAW LA400, except the 400 is a bit bigger / longer and will go a little lower.  It would probably be best with at least 2 a side.

The 1850 is probably a bit big but would offer a little more extension than the punisher.

If you need a lot of LF and don’t need to go that high then the X1 is probably the go, but it will sound like a BP.

I think you will find that the performance of the Punisher, 1850 and X1 is about as good as it gets given their various design compromises.

The other alternative is to put a couple of RCF 15P200’s in a small reflex enclosure of about 190L tuned to about 40hz

JPCorp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2005 at 10:44pm

Extension below 45hz is not really needed, as it will be used for sound reinforcement of latin bands (mostly Salsa), and they don't contain that much info below 45-50. 

I'd like to know how good they are, so I could tell my friend  "Well, they're better than the CV bins, or they sound close to the LA400, or they sound the same as certain dual 18 which only goes down to 47 (Peavey DTH218)... 

Thanks for your opinions.

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 5:17am

A single Punisher is very nice, but a stack of two becomes really impressive. When two Punisher couple together they extend a lot deeper. When you stack 4 together and power them with 4-6kW there is very little that can come close for that kind of output out of such a small box volume. Three things are important:

- Only use Ciare 12.00SW driver

- Build them as solid as possible and make sure there are no airleaks

- Power them with at least 1000W, more is better (1500W is nice)

Best regards,

Walt

Lyndon A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyndon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 11:36am
How about the crusher?  Any news on this?
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 1:30pm
There is no prototype yet and I read on prosoundweb it's gonna take a while before it will get there.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 3:54pm
The crusher is probably not TOO different it seems to have similar trade offs. + the designer hasnt built one yet and its all theoretical.
freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2005 at 11:38am
iif in US, then suggest looking at Yorkville UCS1 
 Post Reply Post Reply