Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Fault - Hill Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Bassman1970 Bassman1970 wrote:

the signal is lost until I knock on the front and give the amp a shake but then it disappears again. Sometimes when signal is strong enough (I play bassguitar with it) and I hit loudly a chord the signal comes also but then again .....silence.
My amp is a LC1200.

Known problem with the LC series is the wires to the front panel volume board. These have IDC (Insulation Displacement) plugs which are prone to corrosion.

The fact that it cuts in when you whack the front panel is indicative, I have seen the exact same thing on several LC1200 caused by the IDC plugs (and this being in the early 90s when the amps were brand new!) 

Can be a easy fix by carefuly blobbing some solder on each wire in the top of the IDC header, but sounds like you have other bigger problems in this case

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Quite often a failure in one part of the circuit causes cascade failures in following and/or preceding stages, meaning it is not obvious where the problem started, and a wrong guess simply results in further damage...

Hill amps are transformer coupled, like a valve amp. So not prone to cascade failure generally

Surprising though that the DC offset is not triggering the protection circuit, definitely sounds like something serious.

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 17 May 2020 at 1:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123