Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PROTOTYPE Signal Generator and Assessment Tool.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PROTOTYPE Signal Generator and Assessment Tool.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PROTOTYPE Signal Generator and Assessment Tool.
    Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:19pm
Hello everyone.

Firstly to introduce myself, i am Margo Baggins and i am new to this forum. While i am interested in speakers, im affraid i dont think i am an avid speaker builder like everyone who is reading this. I have a fairly decent set of speakers, and a fairly decent subwoofer (Home audio stuff, not hu-age sound systems.). However i do live with an avid speaker builder, Alfie Dring, who is on this forum. He asked me to make him a signal generator for loudspeakor alignement and carry out basic time alignment with a mic and an audio output.

I have worked on this last night and tonight, so its by no means finished, and is still very much a BETA, but i would like it if anyone who fancies it could download it and give it a try and give me some feedback.

Above is a picture of the product, but a slightly earlier revision than the version for download.

I am aware the system is a bit buggy, it is sometimes apparent that the audio needs some degree of smoothing - i am also aware of this.

I would like to recieve any kind of constructive criticism's people have of the product. But if you really really hate it and have nothing good to say about it - kindly dont.

This is by no means something that is going to take on SMART or offer nearly as many features, meerly a piece of freeware there if you want it :D

Download link : http://www.box.net/shared/93y7wz9gko

Thanks for reading :D
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:40pm
Wow that is brilliant! well done, I'm not exactly going to use it for its intended purpose but thats exactly the kind of thing i wanted to work out the tuning of a cab I'm going to prototype! Cheers, great gadget!
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:43pm
i like the disclaimer aswell!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:48pm
yep, good work there. it runs in wine. well the synthesis bit does. good stuff!
hifiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:36am
it runs in wine?... It runs in wine!
:D

Thanks heaps!

Edited by hifiger - 10 April 2008 at 12:36am
Margo Baggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:42am
Oh yeah - The mic input - Completely useless at the moment. I put it in the GUI, but never got around to actually making it do anything, and i didnt realise that until i had already posted this. its made me laugh. so - dont expect that to do anything until the weekend probably, should have a new version up by then.

Thanks.
Margo Baggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:50am
Sorry to double post.

I Thought i would add a quick bit about opporating the unit.

The Sine generator needs to be turned on, and then the individual generators turned on independantly to get any sound out.
Its not recomended turning on the sin wave gen whilst the pink noise is on and vise versa as the ramping feature causes a nasty pop and the master "re-fades" back in. This is going to be safeguarded against in next release.
All L's on the interface (apart from next to the signal display) correspond to level, and P to Pan.
The large "S" opens a sweep mode, where you can program sweeps for the signal generators. this is real buggy at the moment, and has a quirky little bug where it jumps to the first degree of the sweep at the end, which is exciting to say the least. A bug hopefully to be worked out in next release.
The untitled knob in the first sweep control is for the rate, and the second hasn't got this yet as its something that i just remembered i hadnt done - remember its BETA :P
Everywhere where there is a number you can change, when you click on the number and the triangle on the left side becomes yellow, you can type in the number you want for ease rather than using the dial or dragging up or down on the number. So there are 3 possible ways of changing numbers. The number corresponding to the delay time accepts decimals. drag on the left of the decimal for whole numbers and on the right of the decimal for float numbers, or type in required number including decimal. A float value cannot be set using the dial as a means of setting the value.
The rest is quite self explanitory. Repeatedly pressing "off" buttons makes faders and dials move about, doesn't do anything just quite fun to watch.

Thanks.

Edited by Margo Baggins - 10 April 2008 at 12:56am
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:56am
oh it runs in wine!!! big + for that!!! well done, no idea how it rates but I must say well done even for just trying, always nice to seee someone willing to put in thte effort to help others !
looks good too!
markk
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
tthorsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthorsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 11:23am
  kk

Edited by tthorsten - 20 March 2011 at 12:05pm
www.tb-audio.de

LEVELchek www.levelcheck.de
SPL tracking

SATlive www.satlive.audio
best Measurementsoftware for Live People

DBlimits
www.dblimits.com

Isemcon EMX7510 measurment Microphon

cyte View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 12:54pm

Great job! Very nice.

I use MDA Test Tone, but its a VST plugin, (it won't run standalone like Margo's does) . Its also cross-platform.

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply