Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with 184 subs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 184 subs
    Posted: 31 March 2005 at 11:15am
I would like to build a set of subs for band PA. We normally play to crowds of 150-200 people in clubs that are difficult to load gear in and out of. Clubs usually plan for people first, entertainment last. I'm afraid to build horns for the shear fact of the lack of room to set them up in the places we play. Would the 184 subs be adequate to provide the low end for a 5 piece band. I need a good compromise between sound quality and portability. Any ideas?
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 12:01pm
I use a pair for PA duties with local Rock/Blues bands and can honestly say the bass quality and extension is amazing given their size.
Mine are loaded with PD184's and I run them on a Bridged amp giving 2400 watts. Sound quality or output will NOT be an issue.

I would recommend that if you are contemplating using Bandpass subs that you also consider a Digital Loudspeaker Management system like the Berry Ultradrive as this allows you to setup the correct bandpass frequencies to make the most of the speaker. I run mine 35-100 hz.

I would love to make it to the next shootout so we could compare the 184's to the X1's but its just too far, maybe the next one can be in the Midlands?

Tony
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:05pm

Originally posted by wilkee wilkee wrote:

I would love to make it to the next shootout so we could compare the 184's to the X1's but its just too far, maybe the next one can be in the Midlands?

Midlands gets my vote.  After all, by definition, surely the middle of the country is the easiest for everyone to get to...

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 7:04pm

Yep, im in the Midlands too

Got a Basys system and 10k of EV MT2 i could bring

Might even be able to sort out a venue

Enigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 11:58am

Another Vote for the Midlands from a fellow Midlander.

I was willing to travel to the Shootout but am DJing here that night and it would have been a bit too much of a hectic day to do the lot.

Let the rhythm be your guiding light !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply